deboardp

What is the correct sequence for custom sandals?

Can somebody suggest the best order for performing the following tasks: 

Creasing edges

Applying dye

Burnishing edges of straps and soles

Stitching the soles by machine

Stuffing the straps and top sole with fats and wax

I'm especially wondering if I should do the stuffing before I sew, because I thought the stitches might sink below the surface a little bit if the leather is stuffed, which would be more comfortable probably, for the feet. 

Also I was wondering if I should burnish after I sew, because maybe the leather being squeezed by the stitch would cause the burnished edge to open a crack. 

I've never sewn my sandals, always cobbled. 

Edited by deboardp

I'm not experienced with sandal- or shoe-making, but my instinct would be to burnish the straps before installing, stitch the soles, and then do the last edging and burnishing of the soles. The other steps make sense in the order listed, and it probably won't make a ton of difference to change the order. I wouldn't worry about the stitching opening up the burnished edge, but you will likely find that the edges are not perfectly even after the stitching is done simply because of slight inconsistencies in cutting. Leaving the final burnishing until after the stitching will allow you to even up the edges with some trimming and sanding and then burnish. 

My $0.02, worth what you paid for it.