crazymaker

111w needle question

Hello all.

I am not sure if anyone here has advice for my non-leather questions, but this site has so many members with an impressive array of information on machines, materials, projects, etc., I might be able to get better help than the guesses I have found.

First the machine: A decade ago I found a 1942 111WSV65 (I can't figure out what was customized) and a bunch of thread spools at our dump. I finally absolutely need it for a project. I had bought an original 150 manual as that seemed to be the closet model. 137 x 17 is written on the cover. I cleaned and oiled her, and played a little with it.  It worked well and I am comfortable with the clutch motor. The only obvious need was a new bobbin case spring.

It had an old straight needle on it, and also some unused humped-scarf ones in an envelope hand-marked 135 x 16 # 22.  All, including the old one are about 1 27/32". There was also old spools of thread; most are nylon left thread , some still have labels, 46-2 type SS.  It is quite strong,

I am sewing an average of 8 layers thin polyethylene woven tarps. I know the straight stitch is not optimal but it seems to work neatly and securely enough for this project. Might end up with about 8 stitches per inch.

I'm looking for advice on what needles I should be using, and also thread - though I would like to use that thread if possible.  I am sewing a large thing,  a 24' x11', 10' tall attic. It is sort of like a tent, with an exterior frame. It'll be installed inside, so UV degradation of the thread is not a concern.

I attached picture of the test runs. And, to give you a sense of my sewing,  wearable boxing gloves based on the facebook like/dislike button, sewn out of cheap vinyl. I hope I have not made the files too small.

Sorry for the long description, and thanks for reading it.

rafter_test1.jpg

Multi-layer_test.jpg

43_Concussion_2017.jpg

10 hours ago, crazymaker said:

I am sewing an average of 8 layers thin polyethylene woven tarps. I know the straight stitch is not optimal but it seems to work neatly and securely enough for this project. Might end up with about 8 stitches per inch.

I'm looking for advice on what needles I should be using, and also thread - though I would like to use that thread if possible.  I am sewing a large thing,  a 24' x11', 10' tall attic. It is sort of like a tent, with an exterior frame. It'll be installed inside, so UV degradation of the thread is not a concern.

For non leather projects, I recommend System 135x17 round/ball point needles. Round points won't tear the fibers apart like leather points tend to do. Some of the best are Groz-Beckert and Schmetz. I use both. The GB are available with titanium coating. They are labeled Gebedur. Schmetz makes a ball point needle with an extra large eye, called Serv 7 needles.

Thank you Wizcraft, that is very helpful.

Not surprising, considering all of your posts that I have read.

And if you could, would you tell me if there is a size that I should be using with the nylon left twist 46-2 type SS thread? It doesn't look like it warrants an extra large hole.

again, thanks

oops, sorry to bother you, I found it.