7-33 needles and thread combination

HI to all, I would like assistance please, on combinations that could be used with needles threads and material,with a Singer 7-33 sewing machine,

The Singer 7-33 not to sure whether for nylon  ,canvas , leather and type, buffing wheels and  7x1 7x2 7x3 7x4  needles` there`s is so much mixed literature Iv read on this machine, its confusing to what is correct and to what you can get away with,

I would like to know what are the correct needles and threads with the right material and how thick, please if any one could advice,

Also, what other people know they have gotten away with using on the needles thread and material and thickness that worked well for them on this machine, please

@1985, I moved your post from Help Wanted to Leather Sewing Machines. This is where you will get answers to questions about machines and needles. Help Wanted posts and replies require a moderator's approval before they become visible.

I can tell you with certainty that synthetics and cloth require round/sharp point needles, no matter what system a machine uses. Leather point needles are specifically designed to sew leather and other animal hides. If you use round points to sew leather, the holes will be unsightly on the bottom and the needle may even get stuck in the leather. If you use leather points in cloth and synthetics, the slicing point may sever the fibers that hold that material together. However, a triangle point or diamond point leather needle is less likely to cause as much damage as a chisel point.

Webbing and elastic are synthetics where you should always try to use a round point needle. With Velcro you can use any point. Vinyl (e.g., Naugahyde) doesn't seem to care either way. Denim doesn't like leather points at all. Garment and chap leather can be sewn with almost any point, unless the bottom is going to be visible and looks bad with a round needle. Patches are best sewn using a round point needle, even if they are on a leather vest. The back side isn't visible and a leather point needle will cut the threads on serged borders. Also, since most vests are lined with satin lining, a leather point will sever the fibers and the lining could run. Thus, I use round point needles to sew patches onto anything.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for moving the post into a better recommended place for me, and the information written above is very informative, cheers,

It might seem obvious, but what are the signs of a needle blunting, also can I resharpen a leather needle with my honing stones,or are they coated and once blunt the coating gets removed,

Edited by 1985
forgot to add a word , the effects from covid, I get brain fog and make a lot of blunders in my writing now

19 minutes ago, 1985 said:

Thank you for moving the post into a better recommended place for me, and the information written above is very informative, cheers,

It might seem obvious, but what are the signs of a needle blunting, also can I resharpen a leather needle with my honing stones,or are they coated and once blunt the coating gets removed,

You're welcome! Yes, you can strop them and polish them. I wouldn't grind the points on a stone wheel. Rather, pull them on Emory cloth to deburr them, then buff them to a shine using green or brown buffing compound.

BTW, here is a handy needle and thread chart to get the best combinations for various sizes of thread.

Noooow, not a stone wheel ,I have a good collection of Japan / American and England / Greek and Belgium fine honing stones that I use for my straight edge razors , And strops with compounds, that`s what I meant to use on bringing back the blunt leather needles,

Some time ago I bought a fair bit of different thread spools from a closing down industrial place that sold spools to companies,anyway they were kept sealed and placed in a cool dry dark area, I check them from time to time, and still great, I really should document the types I have on paper, and check what ones can be used on my machines, with needles to match,

When I look at the chart I take it the metric is for over here UK England,

On 1/14/2024 at 3:07 PM, 1985 said:

When I look at the chart I take it the metric is for over here UK England,

Yes, but it is also for us in the USA who may not be familiar with Metric measurements.