I have an old Singer 29K57 patching machine. It was in a barn for over 2 decades and I have been fixing it up to use. I replaced several parts, cleaned and oiled it all up and got everything running smoothly, with one exception... the bobbin keeps jamming.

I have been a professional sewer for many years (although new to this kind of machine). I've switched needles (different sizes, etc.), switched threads (including different weights), purchased new (used) shuttle carriers and tension springs and new shuttle bodies. 

The timing is right. The shuttle is picking up the thread with every loop. For some reason, however, the thread slips under the shuttle carrier and gets jammed (see image).

I watch it very slowly and still can't figure out why it's doing it. The first loop through, up to about 2-3 stitches, seems to go smoothly but then it jams again.  

Any thoughts? I almost threw the whole thing out the door today!

singer 29k - 1.jpg

18 hours ago, QueenBee said:

Any thoughts? I almost threw the whole thing out the door today!

Make sure that your shuttle carrier is screwed tightly into the driving pinion gear inside the nose. Any looseness in the drier will throw the shuttle timing off. After tightening the tiny set screw all the way, check for wiggle. If the hole in the shuttle driver is worn, the timing can be hard to maintain. If these parts are worn, try to obtain replacements.

With the shuttle driver tightened in the driving gear, try advancing the timing so the hook picks off the thread loop sooner. This is done through a round hole in the front right lower side of the machine. There is a rod coming down that joins a rod feeding the racks inside the arm. The screw that connects them is eccentric. There is usually a locking nut on the back side of the assembly that you'll need to loosen first. Then turn the eccentric screw as you watch the hook move.  The needle must move all the way down, then rise about 1/8 inch. The hook should arrive and pick off the thread loop before the needle moves down again. The needle's jog is down>up>down, then up for the take-up cycle

The bottom line is to have the minimum amount of slop in the driving gears inside the arm.

After you fix the top thread jamming problem, check for slop in the presser foot driving mechanism. Even 1/32 inch of slop forward and backward will shorten the maximum stitch length noticeably.

If you need parts for your patcher, our member @shoepatcheris one of the best sources for parts for Adler, Claes and Singer patchers.

The 29K57 is a rare one.  It came out after the 29K51-56 series and before the 29K58,60,62 series.  I have one.  Certain parts will be almost unobtainable.  If your hook is a generic one, it may be a few thousands too big or small over an original one.  You got any manuals on that particular model?  I would be very interested in getting copies if you have them.  I have original Simanco hooks if you need one.

glenn

Thank you both for the info!! I will try them out later today. 

We figured out it must be rare since we couldn't find any manual on this one; just have the manual on the 71-73. Some things are the same and some are not. That's why I'm having a difficult time fixing it. I'm having to guess at some of it. 

The shuttle hook and carrier I believe are both original. They are both stamped SIMANCO USA and a part number.

The shuttle carrier is a little wobbly even though the screw is all the way in. I might need to rig it to tighten it more. 

Pics of set screw for the drive gear .  Also pics of driver gear and drive rack!  In fact, send us pics of the entire machine as well

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher
grammar

1 hour ago, shoepatcher said:

Pics of set screw for the drive gear .  Also pics of driver gear and drive rack!  In fact, send us pics of the entire machine as well

glenn

Singer 29K (3)a.jpg

Singer 29K (1)a.jpg

Singer 29K (2)a.jpg

pinion screw a.jpg

Singer 29K (4)a.jpg

Singer 29K (5)a.jpg

The gears and racks look good with very little wear on them.  I would take out all the gears and racks from the horn and degrease and remove all the old oil and grease from those parts.  I would also wire wheel all the parts so they look new.  I do all the parts when I rebuild one.  She is pretty dirty.    Clean everything really well before you reassemble and try to get it to sew.    Gears and racks look like those out of a 29K58.  New style.

On 1/21/2024 at 10:41 PM, shoepatcher said:

The 29K57 is a rare one.  It came out after the 29K51-56 series and before the 29K58,60,62 series.  I have one.  Certain parts will be almost unobtainable.  If your hook is a generic one, it may be a few thousands too big or small over an original one.  You got any manuals on that particular model?  I would be very interested in getting copies if you have them.  I have original Simanco hooks if you need one.

glenn

Get me any parts numbers off the parts that you can.  Can I see a pic of the balance wheel and the treadle stand if  it has one.  Thank you.

glenn miller

You got the old parts that were in it.  If so, can I see pics of them?

Edited by shoepatcher

On 1/25/2024 at 8:42 PM, shoepatcher said:

The gears and racks look good with very little wear on them.  I would take out all the gears and racks from the horn and degrease and remove all the old oil and grease from those parts.  I would also wire wheel all the parts so they look new.  I do all the parts when I rebuild one.  She is pretty dirty.    Clean everything really well before you reassemble and try to get it to sew.    Gears and racks look like those out of a 29K58.  New style.

Get me any parts numbers off the parts that you can.  Can I see a pic of the balance wheel and the treadle stand if  it has one.  Thank you.

glenn miller

You got the old parts that were in it.  If so, can I see pics of them?

I haven't completely taken it apart yet since some of the screws were pretty 'set' into place and I don't want to strip them. I did a first cleaning and added oil to everything to let parts soak. I haven't had time to take it apart since. Here is a pic of what it looked like before the initial cleaning.

singer 29k.jpg