Sign in to follow this  
Reins Mom

Building a drawdown stand

I am replacing the one piece swell cover on an old saddle my farrier wants to keep.  I broke the saddle down and found I really do need a drawdown stand.

The basic design was taken from the pictures and drawings in Dusty Johnson’s book “Saddlemaking Construction & Repair Techniques”.

My husband worked out the measurements needed and the plan is the design pictures that follow.

We used 2 kiln dried 2” X 12” X 8’ boards. They were ripped to 8”wide and 6” (actually ripped in half for a measurement of 5 5/8”). The opening for the 2x4 was cut with a jigsaw against a straight edge  since we didn’t want to lose strength in the front piece.

The steel angle with holes came in 12” lengths. It was available in our local hardware box store. We used a dowel for the “pin” to hold the 2x4 in place.

The 2x4 crossbar only has one screw so it can swivel, I find that helpful.

I shortened the bar that tightens the strap pressure to 32”. This seems to be the right length for me.

I’m covering the stand with carpet and if I find the saddle slips around I’ll use the rubberized carpet grip on top of the carpet.

I made a heavy leather hold down with D rings. It attaches to the crossbar eyebolts with straps with roller buckles. I used a snap hook on one side for easy off and on.

Hope this is helpful for folks out there who are looking for a drawdown stand.

The plans are a pdf file attached to this post.

Pat

Drawdown Stand[11083].pdf

1 hour ago, Reins Mom said:

I broke the saddle down and found I really do need a drawdown stand.

Moved your post to Home > Specialty Leatherwork > Saddles and Tack > Saddle Construction

Thanks for moving this post to the proper forum. Hope it helps someone.

Pat