Sign in to follow this  
Rneel

holsters on saddle bags

IMG_5012.JPGIMG_5016.JPGKrisy__s_belt_detail.JPGHolster_saddle_bags.JPGHolster_saddle_bags_open.JPG

I probably should have put the holsters (on saddle bags) facing the other direction so the gun would be easier to get at from the saddle.... maybe next time!

rneel2__Medium_.jpg

rneel1__Medium_.jpg

post-5355-1196520235_thumb.jpg

post-5355-1196520276_thumb.jpg

post-5355-1196520302_thumb.jpg

post-5355-1196520642_thumb.jpg

post-5355-1196520710_thumb.jpg

post-5-1197928476_thumb.jpg

post-5-1197928500_thumb.jpg

Wow, I especially like the belt with the horse on it. (Of course! ;) )

And as far as the holsters on the saddle bags, well, most people should not shoot from the back of a horse anyway - they should get off first, and then shoot. People who have trained in shooting from horseback is one thing. But most people might do something like Custer did, and end up shooting their own horse! No, that is safer... :lol:

Ummm, turn the saddlebags around? Beautiful work, maybe a retention strap to keep the pistol in when going uphill over rough terrain? I read that in a stolman book, making cases, I think. Jordan

I think it all looks great!! I really the the saddle bags and the sepreate holster. Thanks for sharing Mike

Hi theres nothing wrong with the saddle bags i like all the gear, Don

I like your work, you seem to have the same interests I do...although I've yet to make my first gun holtser, after the first of the year I will start on it....

I was looking at my "Packing Gun Leather" book last night and those saddlebags with the holster were very popular back in the day...pommel bags too.

Rneel, you asked for critiques... I always worry that "critique my work" means to post only positive critiques, so let me start of by saying that there ain't nothing shabby about any of your work! The construction looks excellent - those saddlebags look excellent - nicely slicked edges, great stitching... Construction is my weakest area of leathercraft so I am always amazed at those of you who put things together well (and that's why I tool things that require minimal construction!).

Here are a few thoughts on the tooling for your consideration.

- on the holster, try to get your pear shading lines to flow towards and down your leaf center line. Everthing should flow to a focal point. See how your decorative cuts flow to and down the centerline? Your long lined shader should do the same - everthing should have "flow" (that is one thing that makes lined shaders harder to use than crosshatch shaders). Same thing on the pedals of the flowers on the belt - the shading should flow to the focal point, which in this case is the flower center.

- Bargrounding a large area, such as the space across the top of the holster is very hard - bargrounding seems to work best in small areas... you could move that top leaf on the holster up just a bit and break that large area into multiple small ones. Just a thought.

Your acorns look great. I really like the caps - the "gridline" cutting makes them pop out.

Nice work, thanks for sharing. Hope my thoughts are constructive.

robert

I have only one thing to say, WOW! I don't do carving so I can't critique it, but as far as your construction and stitching go I can't see any flaws. Keep it up!

Great job on all of your work. Especially like the saddlebag/holster set up. I agree that canting the holster towards the front would make the draw easier. Though the setup you have pictured would possibly work on set of saddlebags set/wrapped on the saddle horn....

Edited by K-Man

I just wanted to thank everyone for checking out my work! Especially Robert. Thanks for the tips!