SingerDad

Any pfaff experts here?

Have an old pfaff 145H 6CLM.   Got it running pretty well.   However the needle bar looks to be missing the thread guide at the needle bar.    Also I am measuring a diameter of the needle bar at 6.31mm.  Is this correct? Was gonna order a new one however I am seeing different sizes.   

1B700B92-E9E6-4A03-A176-326473DB96A5.jpeg

8DFD7CCC-557A-4ED1-AC8C-ADECE8527372.jpeg

The thread guide does appear to have broken off on your needle bar.

Buy a replacement part based on part number, not based on some measured diameter. 

Ebay is a good place to research part numbers quickly, if you’re not into examining parts diagrams (https://www.diamondneedle.com/documents/Pfaff Parts Manual/145_545.pdf). Just search eBay for “Pfaff 145 needle bar” and multiple vendors will have offerings with the Pfaff part number in the title. In this case 91-710650-92. The parts list shows

a few variations of the needle bar, but I think this is the one you’re looking for. They all should have the same diameter.

Here’s one example from a US based vendor:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122464240704

Screen shot:

IMG_0391.png

If you want to get an OEM replacement part, you can order it directly from Pfaff/DAP in Atlanta Georgia (https://www.dapamerica.com/products-and-services/#) . Call their parts department and give them the part number. It’ll cost more than the cheap copies available on Ebay but may well be worth it.

Replacing the needle bar may be a bit involved. Your existing needle bar will need come out the bottom, which means you’ll potentially have to remove everything that’s in the way (throat plate, feed dog, hook, etc.)

I’m not sure it’s essential to replace the needle bar just for the thread guide hole. You can make/hack some thread guide out of a piece of wire and it’ll probably work just fine. Some of the other needle bars for this series don’t have a thread guide hole at all. 

Uwe, thank you.   I did see that parts diagram.  The issue is that my 145 is quite older (black paint).  The part # does not have the measurements.   When compared to other newer 145s my needle bar  it has a smaller diameter.  If I call pfaff I will have to provide that part number and am sure they will send the needlebar with the diameter of 8.7 mm.  It just will not fit. Does anyone else here have an old black colored pfaff145 that they can measure their needle bar?    I am just trying to avoid paying for one just to have a wrong part sent.      Thanks again 

Which needle system is using your Pfaff 145. As I can see in the manual it is: H1-H2 system 134, H3 system 134-35, H4 needle system 190 which are all needles with 2mm thick shank,. Is yours one of those?

Here are few more links:

I think this is the manual for the old type, but without parts:

https://www.supsew.com/download/Pfaff/Pfaff 141, 143, 145, 151, 153; 142, 144, 146 Instruction Manual.pdf

diagram with wth parts and remark (old), but the number of the needle bar is the same as above:

https://www.supsew.com/download/Pfaff/Pfaff 145, 145-6, 145-906, 145-225, 145-333 (Old).pdf

@SingerDadIt’s possible that your old black Pfaff 145 was modified at some point, who knows. That transition from needle bar to needle holder in your photo looks a bit non-OEM to me. To accommodate different-diameter needle bar would require a different needle rocker frame. Perhaps some parts were exchanged in the past from other subclass models. 

The parts diagram does show two versions of the rocker frame, and three needle bars. I’ve not seen these variations in person, so can’t say if there’s any dimensional variation.  The needle bar 97-712488-92 on the right does appear slightly slimmer in the drawing. 

IMG_0395.jpeg

College Sewing in the UK has that 97-712488-92 needle bar listed as a Pfaff 335 needle bar. It looks very different from what you have on your machine. That OEM Pfaff needle bar is expensive and may not be available in a cheap aftermarket version. 

IMG_0397.jpeg

If the only offending aspect of your existing needle bar is the missing thread guide hole, I’d seriously consider attaching a small wire loop (silver-solder, glue, spot-weld?) to the tip of your needle bar to make a thread guide.

2 hours ago, Uwe said:

@SingerDadIt’s possible that your old black Pfaff 145 was modified at some point, who knows. That transition from needle bar to needle holder in your photo looks a bit non-OEM to me. To accommodate different-diameter needle bar would require a different needle rocker frame. Perhaps some parts were exchanged in the past from other subclass models. 

The parts diagram does show two versions of the rocker frame, and three needle bars. I’ve not seen these variations in person, so can’t say if there’s any dimensional variation.  The needle bar 97-712488-92 on the right does appear slightly slimmer in the drawing. 

IMG_0395.jpeg

College Sewing in the UK has that 97-712488-92 needle bar listed as a Pfaff 335 needle bar. It looks very different from what you have on your machine. That OEM Pfaff needle bar is expensive and may not be available in a cheap aftermarket version. 

IMG_0397.jpeg

If the only offending aspect of your existing needle bar is the missing thread guide hole, I’d seriously consider attaching a small wire loop (silver-solder, glue, spot-weld?) to the tip of your needle bar to make a thread guide.

Ha.  That’s it!  Yes. Mine is likely the elusive pfaff 335 needle bar.  It’s what a friend of mine was thinking.  Uggh. Thank you for your time.   I appreciate the effort .  

Edited by SingerDad

Update: was able to find a 6.3 mm needle bar on Amazon. Was cheap, however solid stock.   Came quick. Install went fine.   Now timed it to my standard 135x17 needles.   Bonus. Now I have a needle bar thread guide.  
thanks to all who replied to my question.  

EE28C583-3241-400A-92FA-9FB9FF24B410.jpeg

Great, congrats! Please post a link and  screen shot to that listing on Amazon. Others may look for the same needle bar in the future. 

Was it this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Needle-Singer-Consew-Industrial-Machine/dp/B077CZCLSG

IMG_0403.jpeg

Any details on the installation? Do you have a list of steps, or parts that need be removed to get the needle bar out? There’s precious little documentation available on service tasks for these machines. Anything you can add would help. 

Edited by Uwe

8 hours ago, Uwe said:

Great, congrats! Please post a link and  screen shot to that listing on Amazon. Others may look for the same needle bar in the future. 

Was it this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Needle-Singer-Consew-Industrial-Machine/dp/B077CZCLSG

IMG_0403.jpeg

Any details on the installation? Do you have a list of steps, or parts that need be removed to get the needle bar out? There’s precious little documentation available on service tasks for these machines. Anything you can add would help. 

You are correct.  Sometimes it’s easier to just know your exact dimensions.  A lot of these machines were copies of copies.  I am just glad it worked out.  Thanks again.