Sign in to follow this  
AWORKOFMARC

Dying Latigo knife sheath looking for a sealer/conditioner

I'm playing with making my first knife sheath --using brown Latigo. I added some splotchy black to give it some character that I like a lot.

Not sure about how flat matte it looks... so tried a test piece using straight saddle soap to seal / condition it but it seemed to darken it too much --so I withheld adding it to the sheath.

--from what I've read latigo is impregnated with fats and oils so adding a finish is not recommended? but this stuff seems dry as a bone. I doubt diluted resolene will work.

Should I just leave it be not try for a finish or sheen?

20240224_180338_resized.jpg

A friend of mine made his black powder shooting bag and knife sheath out of latigo. The color rubbed off and ruined his brain tan buckskin pants. I don't think any sealer will stop it if there is any surface friction. Myself, I avoid latigo for anything that comes in contact with clothes or upholstery.

LOL -- now you tell me hahhaha

Crap!

@tsunkasapa

So on inquiry to the seller, I just found out this leather was alum tanned or lace tanned. That's different than the normal latigo conbination tanning and would be better suited for sealant / conditioner?

Edited by AWORKOFMARC

I've never dealt with Alum tanned other tan boot laces. And as I said, I don't use 'sealers'. But try the resolene on some scrap. Sno Seal might be an option as well.