Bert03241

ATV Fender Protection

My foot scraps the fender when I get on and off. I 'm thinking of making some leather pads that I can some how attach to the fenders to protect then. Not sure what leather to use and how to attach them. Ideas please.:dunno:

I would use some crazy horse leather. That way as you scratch the leather up, from getting on& off. The leather will only get better looking with age. Plus the crazy horse has lots of waxes & oils in it to help preserve it from the elements. 

1 hour ago, Bert03241 said:

My foot scraps the fender when I get on and off. I 'm thinking of making some leather pads that I can some how attach to the fenders to protect then. Not sure what leather to use and how to attach them. Ideas please.:dunno:

Let's get a pic of your atv where you want to attach the leather wear panels. That way we all know what we are working with/against.

Thanks.

phpQ3dpFXAM.jpg

Edited by DieselTech

The other leather to look at is this hydro repel leather. It comes in brown & black only thou. 

phplRfmkcAM.jpg

The ar2062397203_ATVFenders.thumb.jpg.6dcd2a1d32c7f15e902c1f429982e138.jpg ea where the stars are between black lines

4D659B52-2FEC-4A19-AFED-9627A21E5BB2.jpg

ATV Fenders.jpg

I think I would attach the top part of the leather to the rear rack if possible, with straps like a apron.  Then I would tuck the bottom part of the leather under the black part of your lower foot guards. 

Basically take the black plastic loose enough where you can tuck the bottom part of leather in & snug the black foot guards afterwards.

I think leather would look good on your ATV.  I don't think it would wear as well as the HDPE that the fenders are made of.  It would prevent scratches to the fenders, though.  I wouldn't loosen the joint of the black to red plastic.  The black plastic supports your weight when you stand up and gets part of it's support from those connections.  Also, bear in mind that my use might well be very different than yours.  My plastic had several scratches and eventually cracks from riding the brush, mud and "mountains" of western Arkansas.  Still runs like a top, though.  We were hard on them.  YMMV,  Jim

thanks guys I'm taking my time with this.

One thing to keep in mind is if anything gets caught under the leather (dirt, bugs, etc) then it can act like sandpaper and actually do more damage than if you didn't have the leather protector.  I have a leather bra on my motorcycle and I have to take it off periodically to make sure nothing is trapped under it.

/dwight

5 minutes ago, DwightT said:

One thing to keep in mind is if anything gets caught under the leather (dirt, bugs, etc) then it can act like sandpaper and actually do more damage than if you didn't have the leather protector.  I have a leather bra on my motorcycle and I have to take it off periodically to make sure nothing is trapped under it.

/dwight

That stimulates a strange mental image. :blink:

1 hour ago, Mablung said:

That stimulates a strange mental image. 

I would say you need to get your mind out of the gutter, but it's nice to have some company.

I'll remember to check Thanks:notworthy: