I would like to dye some home tanned deer hide. It was made with orange bottle stuff. Are there any threads on here about how to do it?

Thanks

Is there a particular reason you think a standard dye wouldn’t work? Water-based might not as easily, but an alcohol/spirit-based likely would. Unless the stuff you used strikes it in a way that prevents effective dyeing. 

5 hours ago, jarheaddoc said:

I would like to dye some home tanned deer hide.

Moved your post into a subforum Dyes, Antiques, Stains, Glues, Waxes, Finishes and Conditioners. where you might find more information and hear from others that may frequent this area.

Google Searches are faster and get more data than the search engine here.  Use this format:  "site:leatherworker.net YOUR SEARCH PARAMETERS" without the quotes.  Their servers index a lot more data and are quite fast compared to here.

2 hours ago, Mablung said:

Is there a particular reason you think a standard dye wouldn’t work? Water-based might not as easily, but an alcohol/spirit-based likely would. Unless the stuff you used strikes it in a way that prevents effective dyeing. 

I'm looking for help with this, as I'm starting at ground level. I have no idea how any dyes will work with the orange bottle stuff.

1 hour ago, Northmount said:

Moved your post into a subforum Dyes, Antiques, Stains, Glues, Waxes, Finishes and Conditioners. where you might find more information and hear from others that may frequent this area.

Google Searches are faster and get more data than the search engine here.  Use this format:  "site:leatherworker.net YOUR SEARCH PARAMETERS" without the quotes.  Their servers index a lot more data and are quite fast compared to here.

Thank you! I can point and click my way to bankruptcy on amazon and eBay, but I never would have thought of something like that search in Google. I take it that structuring a search request like that would work for other sites?

12 minutes ago, jarheaddoc said:

I'm looking for help with this, as I'm starting at ground level. I have no idea how any dyes will work with the orange bottle stuff.

I gotcha. I won’t actually be much help with that , so I’ll keep my piehole shut so others can give relevant advice. 

1 hour ago, jarheaddoc said:

I take it that structuring a search request like that would work for other sites?

It does, with all sites that I have tried, including Amazon!