Shazbaz

What sort of leather is this please

Hello

I am just starting out and have lots of leather scraps that I am hoping to use. I think it's embossed upholstery leather but I'm really not sure.

I wanted to make my hubby a wallet but it feels soft and is very thin, if I used stiffener between a lining would this sort of leather hold up as a wallet or is it really only any good for covering upholstery with please? 

Thank you ☺️

IMG_5048.jpeg

IMG_5045.jpeg

IMG_5046.jpeg

IMG_5047.jpeg

IMG_5044.jpeg

IMG_5043.jpeg

That looks like some kind of upholstery leather that's embossed and glazed on the top side.  It's doubtful that it's top grain leather and wouldn't hold up well to the kind of wear and tear that a wallet would have to endure.  Springfield Leather Supply and Don Gonzalez Saddlery both sell wallet kits that are excellent.

-J

You could, theoretically, make a wallet back with it, provided you use a veg tan or something else with a firm hand to make the inner panels and pockets. But LiftPig is right that it likely wouldn’t hold up to the banging around a wallet undergoes. 

I thought it wouldn't be stong enough, I know what you mean by embossed but what is glazing please?