My son asked for a pair of moccasins so I thought I would check out Dieselpunk's moccasins pattern.  The pattern was easy to follow and put together.  It took me a day to cut out, punch the holes and sew per shoe.  Bear in mind I have old hands and a messed up shoulder..  So for others I think it is easily doable in a weekend.

I uses Kudu Chromexcel 4/5 oz.  Its a oil tanned leather that I think will wear hard. 

If you are thinking about/wanting to make shoes, but don't want to jump into it because of all the specialized tools/equipment that you need for traditional style shoe construction, I think this is a good way to dip your toes in the water..

Mocassins copy.jpg

Looks good. Nice work on them. They look great. 

Thanks DieselTech. Gotta say I was dubious of his choice of thread, but I think the tangerine actually works.

54 minutes ago, Aven said:

Thanks DieselTech. Gotta say I was dubious of his choice of thread, but I think the tangerine actually works.

Yeah I think blue & orange look good together.

27 minutes ago, Mablung said:

Fantastic. I love those. Stirring me to go finish redesigning the heel piece for my chukkas. 

I hope you find the spark to go and do it.  The worst thing that can happen is that it didn't work out the way you wanted, but even then you will learn something and you'll be better prepared for the next attempt. 

2 minutes ago, Aven said:

I hope you find the spark to go and do it.  The worst thing that can happen is that it didn't work out the way you wanted, but even then you will learn something and you'll be better prepared for the next attempt. 

Definitely have the spark. Just haven’t had the time. Trying to figure out how to adjust the overall dimensions and get the dart at the back right. Been busy with work, though. 

13 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Yeah I think blue & orange look good together.

That is a good combo.

Yeah, I defiantly have to work on my photography skills.  They are actually a darker chocolate brown and a lighter Signal Corps orange thread.  I see another rabbit hole to fall down.

Just now, Mablung said:

Definitely have the spark. Just haven’t had the time. Trying to figure out how to adjust the overall dimensions and get the dart at the back right. Been busy with work, though. 

Work,  that evil necessity that can take us way from what we want to be doing.

If you want to chat about it, you know where I hang out.

1 minute ago, Aven said:

Work,  that evil necessity that can take us way from what we want to be doing.

If you want to chat about it, you know where I hang out.

Indeed. I love my work, but sometimes I’d rather be making shoes. 
Appreciate the offer. I was thinking of PM’ing you anyway, as something about the issue isn’t clicking in my head. I’ll do so once I sit back down with my pieces and can start working it out. 

12 hours ago, Mablung said:

Indeed. I love my work, but sometimes I’d rather be making shoes. 
Appreciate the offer. I was thinking of PM’ing you anyway, as something about the issue isn’t clicking in my head. I’ll do so once I sit back down with my pieces and can start working it out. 

Shoot me a PM when you get back into it. I'm always happy to talk about shoes.