Lancairuk

Seiko STW 8B Bobbin alignment

Hi, I just bought a Singer 111 clone which turned out to be a Seiko STW8B.  When I bought it the seller demonstrated it and it worked perfectly. She also wanted to show me the wonderful bobbin winding device. Sadly she did this by running the machine at full speed without sewing. The result was a massive jamming of the mechanism. She cleared this with tweezers, but I did not realise that she had broken the bobbin hook mechanism. Since getting it home and cleaning off the excessive oiling I have tried to reset a new bobbin - hook mechanism according to Uwe’s excellent YouTube videos, but my machine fails to catch the bobbin thread after the needle thread has been hooked.  Any ideas would be most welcome.

2 hours ago, Lancairuk said:

I just bought a Singer 111 clone

Moved your post to Leather Sewing Machines.  This is where the machine guys hang out.

Sorry, thanks.

The first thing I would check is to make sure the safety clutch is properly engaged. 

You may have to remove the bobbin case or the entire hook to make sure no thread is caught under it. A massive jam like you described can leave bits of thread in many wrong places. Tweezers don’t reach in all the place you need to check. 

It sounds Iike you’re saying the hook catches the needle thread loop but fails to wrap it around the bobbin case. A short video clip of that happening under slow hand-turning power would be super useful (upload video snippet to YouTube and post a link to it here). A few close-up photos is the second best thing.