JAM

Lasts and arch support

Question:  Should support for high arches be built/carved into boot/shoe lasts or added later?  I'm just starting to learn how to build shoes (I've been doing leatherwork for a long time, and got a couple of good books to get me started on shoes). I've got bespoke lasts from podohub and I have high arches. The lasts don't have my high arches - the insoles seem to be fairly flat from the ball into the 15mm heel. Should the lasts have higher arches built in/carved away, or does arch support get added to the inside after the shoe/boot is built? 

I am not an expert by any means. I have only made unlasted shoes.  But if I was making shoes for someone with high arches, I wouldn't adjust the last.  I feel its going to be easier to put inserts in the shoes and tweak them than it is to adjust the shoes and last.

How do you like the lasts from podohub?  I just ordered a pair and I'm a bit excited to try lasted shoes.

5 hours ago, Aven said:

How do you like the lasts from podohub?  I just ordered a pair and I'm a bit excited to try lasted shoes.

I'm still working on my first pair of shoes, but so far I like them a lot. I have nothing to compare them to, but in my experiments I find they take nails well and are easy to modify with a wood rasp and with both glued-on skirting leather and Sculpwood putty. Mine have the rail system rather than hinges and that seems to be working well, also, unless you run the heel up too far (then it takes some doing to put the pieces back in place).

Cool Beans. 

Thanks for your insight.  I also got the rail system so warning taken.  Right now, according to the tracking number, they have been handed over to the Canadian Post and but haven't crossed the boarder yet. I figure I will get them in hand by the end of next week.

Since we're both new to this, you might enjoy this series of articles I just found the other day. Here's a link to one of the articles, and when you open this article you'll find the whole series. 

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/creating-insoles-bespoke-shoes/