Erdin

Singer 18-3 feed problem

Good evening everyone. Complete noob on sewing machines here. I recently bought a vintage singer 18-3 sewing machine and it has a feed problem I'm trying to fix. When I am manually operating the wheel, it feeds ok most of the time (it does skip stitches and changes stitch length because of the feed issue, see imgur link), but as soon as I use the motor it came with, it doesn't feed at all. The feed wheel driver slips, not moving the feed wheel. I am thinking it could be because of the wear on the wheel driver, but I am not sure how much wear is too much wear. What do you guys think could be the problem?

Video -> https://imgur.com/a/adsgxdh

1.jpeg

When it stitches

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

Feed wheel driver

4.jpeg

Feed wheel driver wear

5.jpeg

Feed wheel driver wear

Edited by Northmount
Copied photos from 3rd party host

Can you lower the roller foot anymore so as to be tighter to the roller feed ring?

glenn

@shoepatcher Ideally, I would have to bring it up a bit. What I could do is either build up where it is worn, which I don't know of it's possible, or sand the upper part of the "hook". What do you think?

Hook you do not want to fool with.  Anyway to lower the roller foot?

glenn

On 3/19/2024 at 9:10 AM, Erdin said:

Photos and video -> https://imgur.com/a/adsgxdh

Please post your photos here, videos are usually way to large so have to be posted on a 3rd party host.  YouTube is a common site for videos.  Your imgur.com video came through nicely.

3rd party hosted photos frequently disappear due to changes in the host's policies, host out of business, users moving files, deleting files, closing their account or the account expiring.  When this happens, the post becomes worthless to all future users who are researching or looking for help to solve a problem.

If your files are too large to post here due to file size restrictions, you need to resize your files to fit.  Follow this link for some helps and suggestions.  https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/15122-how-to-post-pictures-on-lw/?do=findComment&comment=551171 There are lots of Apps, software, and online tools available on the web, or even built into your device to enable you to reduce your file sizes.  800 pixels in the longest dimension is quite adequate.  Smart phone screens and many monitors don't display high res files in high resolution.  People that live on the fringes of the internet appreciate smaller file sizes and high res photos may take from 10 minutes to hours to download.

On 3/22/2024 at 2:05 AM, shoepatcher said:

Hook you do not want to fool with.  Anyway to lower the roller foot?

glenn

It looks to be in it's lowest or almost lowest point, it applies quite the amount of pressure on the feed ring and leather.

Consew make a copy of this.  Not sure the model #.  That me be a source for replacement.

glenn