Sign in to follow this  
gunner100

Singer 29k Walking foot issue

Hi all I wonder if anyone can assist me-just taken delivery of a 29k and the walking foot is trying to move the material when the needle is pretty much fully down. I have seen some say you have to rotate the cam pulley(large double rimmed wheel at the extreme right of the machine?) 180 degrees to re-sync the needle with the walking foot?

The foot pressure screw and post were bent in the delivery but I would not think that could cause this issue?

Any help greatly appreciated!

https://www.facebook.com/reel/797157068985954/?group_id=1041207345945672&s=group&__cft__[0]=AZWZqTdPmTvosHpxlyMd4Fd4BXuLYrybtpQ1Gbsf-MyUskKthi6oqCBduL95Dnz_HaIgu6jmq2HjBi5wiVA8WHsPoEURe0K3LVWTFQRTwAiZQKpF1-cufMY6eKNEF_-nPlwJ9Wl4DtE7Z0zy_C1l-LTfUetJkOL_N3ag_5ZNbiI9nUe9lP3Vr8TRn49a1MNseTwJlI_SQ4ia6laLdulJIfMb&__tn__=H-R

following

Looks like a 29K71 or which one is it? The presser foot looks kinda odd. Has it teeth on the bottom side? The foot pressure adjuster looks bent (see red arrow in picture). Furthermore looks like the stitch length adjuster is set to a short stitch. In which direction do you turn the hand wheel? Have you read the manual?

Please post good clear pictures of your machine from front and back.

EDIT:

you mentioned the bent adjuster already - sry.

But put everything back in working order before you start adjusting / removing / repositioning other things like cams and so on.

Bild1.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

Hi this video might show better-the foot should be being dragged back and then rising but as soon as gentle pressure from fingers is removed it starts just small movements.

At one point this afternoon it seemed to operate as it should and I thought great then it changed back again. I am coming around to the thought that the bent spring adjuster may well be adding to my woes as there not a great deal of pressure on the foot. But also when you lift the foot up and then lower at times it is simply not dropping enough and is a good 5mm off the top of the plate!

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1625337921204488/?group_id=1041207345945672&s=group&__cft__[0]=AZXm5t_RBgwa3pXYa2-cztBDl5LysuJST_cukEbEOp21IYcNUGUuGMcEeYB3fcAFZ6tMaf3bufdmhcz5aj44EacGX1CoWerFt_epkKKV7TmAkKNXApsOocWk_Vq-6MmZFGVbkXmexWWzVIwCM3WV6_hXrumxlF6k9fvYrqhezOkY_H5IzoaG1swwUjeIQK2cVGpc7F0OhRYyzDZuJEMNzOFk&__tn__=H-R

hard to tell from the videos what is going on. But I wonder why the bell crank lever is seemingly not properly moving. I only can guess as I´m not in front of the machine. Could be that the bell crank lever that is moving the foot is worn or broke.

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/82167-feed-motion-bell-crank-lever-singer-29k412818.html

it is playing together with the feed motion ring.

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/82053-feed-motion-ring-slide-bar-singer-29k.html

When the FMR is mowing up and down the BCL is moving the presser foot bar > feeding the material.

But again please post good clear pictures of your machine so we can see is something probably is out of alignment or missing and straighten the foot pressure adjuster.

EDIT:
What I also noticed is that the stitch length adjuster is not correctly installed. The arrow on the small squared frame has to point upwards and the gib has to be positioned correctly as well (I´l post pictures later)

Bild2.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

Please note the above post.

The gib and the frame have wedges. This is how the stitch length adjuster and the gib should be installed.

29K Stitch Lengh Adjuster Gib (1).JPG

29K Stitch Lengh Adjuster Gib (2).JPG

Edited by Constabulary

Hi all many thanks for taking the time to assist.

Today I removed the foot and changed the stitch length screw, and lowered it then removed a straight spring bar from a seized 29k I bought with this one and then took photos and the one thing is that when no pressure is on the spring bar it is more likely to go through the motions correctly ie walking foot kicks back as soon as pressure is added to the spring bar it stops this completetly and statically goes up and down.

Further when you lower the walking foot it does not always drop fully to contact the plate -just hangs a few mm over the top.

Someone on Bespoke Shoemaking FB said his machine acted the same and the previous owner had taken the head off and incorretly fitted the cam and he altered the cam by 180 degrees and it all worked.

I am not 100% sure as I have seen people explain this 180 degree change but that its the pulley cam which I am guessing is the extreme right hand double rimmed wheel on the extreme right of the machine? Is there a further cam in the head and I see there are 4 screws holding the head to the body and then what I am guessing is a pin to knock out to release the needle bar?

Many thanks

Peter

IMG_2982.jpg

IMG_2983.jpg

Oh its a 29k58 machine.

I tried to load more photos but its telling me I can only load 1.46mb!

1 hour ago, gunner100 said:

I tried to load more photos but its telling me I can only load 1.46mb!

If your files are too large to post here due to file size restrictions, you need to resize your files to fit.  Follow this link for some helps and suggestions.  https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/15122-how-to-post-pictures-on-lw/?do=findComment&comment=551171 There are lots of Apps, software, and online tools available on the web, or even built into your device to enable you to reduce your file sizes.  800 pixels in the longest dimension is quite adequate.  Smart phone screens and many monitors don't display high res files in high resolution.  People that live on the fringes of the internet appreciate smaller file sizes and high res photos may take from 10 minutes to hours to download.

this plunger knob is missing on the hand wheel of your machine

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/nn98r-plunger-nut-singer-29k.html

I´m also not sure if the paddle shaped spring on the lower end of the needle bar is present - please check that.

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/46045-8656-check-spring-singer-29k.html

Above two parts have nothing to do with foot movement but both needed when you want a properly working machine.

You have not posted a picture of the rear side of the machine and have not answered in which direction you turn the hand wheel. ;)

Just trying to figure issues before you start removing parts.

======================

The 180° rotation of the pulley usually is an issue when some one restored / took apart a machine and did not put it back together properly.

Yes IF the pulley is the issue it is the one you mentioned. It usually is held in place by 2 set screws and 1 tapered pin so you have to figure which side is the narrower end and hammer it out from this end. It sometimes is hard to tell so be careful if you hammer it from the wrong side it will be even tighter.

However there is also a cam inside the machine that drives the hook (basically) and one on the left side that controls the feed motion ring. So IF someone restored it / took it appart no one know if he put back on the cams the right way. So there is a lot of guessing.

Edited by Constabulary

Hi apologies 2 photos attached and I turn the wheel clockwise.

BTW what does the plunger do?

Many thanks

Peter

IMG_2989.jpg

IMG_2990.jpg

16 minutes ago, gunner100 said:

BTW what does the plunger do?

I have edited my last above post.

clockwise is correct - the plunger engages / disengages the hand wheel when winding the bobbin.

BTW - here is a parts list and manual for the 29K71 - it is very similar to the 29K58 with just some minor differences. Hope this helps.

(direct download link)

https://leatherworker.net/forum/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=172617

========

EDIT:
Here is missing a thumb screw.

Should be this one:

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/ss469w-eccentric-thumb-screw-singer-29k.html

IMG_2989.jpg.deee4e41c9c8ebee24b2e5cc4ec32d84.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

Hi many thanks.

Does this mean I may have a broken/worn  part in the head? The pulley cam looks as if it has never been tampered with, neither do the 4 screws holding the head to the body!?

I think so but I only can guess - I assume the Bell Crank Lever is worn down or broke. See parts diagram in the above linked manual / parts list.

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/82167-feed-motion-bell-crank-lever-singer-29k412818.html

OR - there is an issue with the lifting lever.

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/82152-lifting-lever-for-heavy-work-singer-29k.html-`

I'm not sure If I can see it from the rear side.

The lever should stick out here (arrow 1) and should lift the part (arrow 2) when cranking the machine. Should look like in the 2nd picture (my 29K71 machine).

Bild11.jpg

IMG_9304.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

Hi I just popped over the workshop and when cranked no 2 bobs up and down once on one revolution by varying degrees dependent on thumb screw setting at high or low.

So to investigate the head its the 4 screws on the machine side and then remove needle and then once separated lower head to extract needle bar?

many thanks

Peter

Hi I took two photos from the side rear one where the is at rest and a further one as it is in contact and lifting and as it comes around the foot lifts, many thanks Peter

IMG_2992.jpg

IMG_2991.jpg

Hi Constabulary,

I have also got a seized 29k identical and I could go about removing the head on that one as albeit seized the foot and head seem to be in better condition than the one with the walking foot issues.

My only concern is if the needle bar is gummed and seized in the head but at some point I will have to take the seized one apart!! Is there anything I need to be aware of synchronisation wise when the head is removed? 

Many thanks for all your help Peter

Hi I solved the riddle of the non walking foot!!

I removed the head and I was in the process of undoing the 2 screws from the underside of the head and I noticed something embedded in the oily mass!

Its a small screw and unsure ff this had been jolted free by my removing the head or if it had just gelled in situ but this screw goes into the side of the bell crank lever and I extracted the stuck screw and then undid the further screw to release the revolving 'wing nut' portion and found that the screw from the other side of the bell crank lever was in situ but not screwed in!

So I cleaned it all and re-assembled with the 2 screws firmly screwed in and hey presto all working again!!

I do need a check spring so I have only secured the head with one screw until I can order this.

So just in case anyone else may have the same issue here are the photos:

IMG_3002.jpg

IMG_3001.jpg

IMG_2999.jpg