Littlef

Shaded Reflector box for a Laser Boresight. (Barely Leather Work)

This barely even qualifies as leather work, but I was impressed how well it works, and thought I would share.  When I go out shooting, its always out in the mid-day sun.  If my sights seem to be off, I have a boresight that inserts into the end of the barrel, and I can check where the barrel is pointing versus where my sights or scope is looking.  In bright daylight it's really hard (if not impossible) to see the laser.    Solution:  A shaded reflector box.  I took black corrugated plastic to form the back, sides and top shade.  I used vinyl/pleather to connect the top and sides, to form a hinge, so it can be folded flat during transport.  I used barge contact adhesive, and then I put 2 rivets with leather washers on each side of each joint to keep it from pulling apart in the wind.    I used a flap of velcro to attach the joint where the top and sides attach, so it can easily be set up, taken down, and folded flat during transport.  I used DOT reflective trucking tape to make the reflector in the back.  In the bright mid-day sun, I can now see the green laser at 300 to 400 yards out, without optics.  This is a handy tool.  I now just automatically set it up with my steel targets downrange.  If anything needs to be checked, it just takes a few seconds to insert the laser, and see how it lines up in the shaded reflector.  Then make any adjustments needed.  Works pretty slick.  

1 Shaded Reflector 9873-2.jpg

Garand Boresight.jpg

IMG_9975-2.jpg

IMG_9976-2.jpg

IMG_9977-2.jpg

IMG_9978-2.jpg

IMG_9982-2.jpg

IMG_9983-2.jpg

I like it . . . good idea . . . but my boresight is bright red . . . 

I also have a backstop made of railroad ties . . . red shows up on it real well.

But if I were you . . . I just might refine that thing a bit . . . Put it on etsy . . . I'd just about wager you'll sell a few of them.

May God bless,

Dwight

9 hours ago, Dwight said:

I like it . . . good idea . . . but my boresight is bright red . . . 

I also have a backstop made of railroad ties . . . red shows up on it real well.

But if I were you . . . I just might refine that thing a bit . . . Put it on etsy . . . I'd just about wager you'll sell a few of them.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight.  Thats not a bad idea.  I might have to think about how to refine it to look a bit more professional.  Its certainly really helpful having it.

now this is a good idea!!! :Lighten:

7 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

now this is a good idea!!! :Lighten:

Thank you sir.  Mother necessity at work.  shooting out on the plains with flat land, and no shade.  I just can't see the laser in mid day.  Problem solved.  

13 hours ago, Littlef said:

Thank you sir.  Mother necessity at work.  shooting out on the plains with flat land, and no shade.  I just can't see the laser in mid day.  Problem solved.  

been there done that lol I have one those I threw in the tool box and forgot about for that very reason.