Sign in to follow this  
melks

Silver laced rawhide in cantle

How can I make this type of saddle cantle? I can't find any information about the silver laced rawhide cantle, please help

19 hours ago, melks said:

How can I make this type of saddle cantle? I can't find any information about the silver laced rawhide cantle, please help

Moved your post to Saddle Construction

Not the easiest to explain. I’ve seen some video clips and pictorials but none I can lay a hand on right now. Basically here goes. The cantle is shaped and trimmed. The “bumps”are usually made with a filler like sash cord. Holes are spaced and punched through the three layers. The sash cord is whipped through the holes and around the back edge of the cantle. 
    The cantle binding is fit up on top and pulled over. The binding has to be cased or tempered up right to be molded over the sash cord once it is stitched down. Rawhide can be fickle to work with to get the moisture just right.  Mold with sticks, rods, whatever to get that definition of the cord underneath. Slits are then cut through the 5 layers for the lacing between the sash cord bumps. The lace is tacked underneath at one end and whipped through the slits and pulled down tight. This is another no fun part of it and wear gloves. Tack the other end.

I think there was a pictorial in the first Al Stohlman saddle book with cased veg tan.  The sash cord went through the cantle filler and cantle cover. They were first assembled cased and allowed to dry, then holes punched and binding fit, then removed, trimmed and replaced. (hint) pick translucent, not transparent rawhide piece