I have been commissioned to make a bbq apron.

I have my thoughts on what to use but would be interested to hear what leather you would use and why ?

Cheers and thanks.

I would use upholstery grade chrome tan leather. Mainly because I have tons of it. The upholstery leather is very flexible and would fall nicely. Mine is about 1.5 mm thick so it would be heat resistant. In fact I made a part-time blacksmith a waist length apron out of it and it served him well

Also another thing about bbq is it's messy. So I would want some type of leather that is easy to clean up. 

If I used one . . . it would be my marine vinyl apron I made to use when I'm dying leather.

Vinyl cleans up real easy . . . is waterproof . . . can be easily made into "what you want" . . . and it is not overbearing and hot.

Perfect for my BBQ

May God bless,

Dwight

9 hours ago, threepets said:

Don't use leather,for one thing it's to hot and to heavy.

Not to discourage you but I agree with threepets.  Too hot.  JM2C, Jim

Thanks for the replies so far.

We all know the customer is always right and if the guy wants a leather apron surely, it is his problem wether its too hot.

I am in the UK, so not exactly a hot country and wear leather work aprons for sewing, woodwork and metal bashing.

I have so far tested upholstery leather and waxed veg tan.

The first was surprisingly good.

The second a disaster.

My initial thoughts were deer or goat.

Any further thoughts please ?

I find thin deer easily rips, Goat is much tougher

Beilers sells "Chrome Tanned Oiled Sides" in 5/6 oz that I use to cover padding on horse tack and I split it for lining belts and straps.  It is smooth and slick (should clean up well) and comes in a variety of colors.  I think it would make a nice apron.  The side I received was produced by the SB Foot Tanning Co who supply Red Wing Shoes with leather. https://www.sbfoot.com/

Fun fact, SB Foot is a subsidiary of Red Wing Shoes and Boots.  The tannery produces fantastic leather, including their second-run utility sides.  I've gone through a couple of those for a whole variety of uses.

@SkipAriHunter if you should need some brown chrome tan upholstery leather contact me. I might be able to let you have some, FOC

On 6/5/2024 at 4:57 PM, fredk said:

@SkipAriHunter if you should need some brown chrome tan upholstery leather contact me. I might be able to let you have some, FOC

A very kind offer and much appreciated.

My wife and I have sofa skinning down to a fine art and we collect our next, chocolate brown, victim on tuesday.

Mwahahaha.

On 6/5/2024 at 12:47 PM, fredk said:

I find thin deer easily rips, Goat is much tougher

Agreed but good goat is hard to find, but I'm on it .

53 minutes ago, SkipAriHunter said:

Agreed but good goat is hard to find, but I'm on it .

Try Le Prevo in Newcastle

Any leather is easy to wipe clean if you oil and wax the hell out of it.  I’d go for whatever is handy, thick enough for protection, and cheap.  I would not wear vinyl right up close to a hot bbq grill  or around live coals and fats that can flare.  It melts as  it burns.  Having a thick  goo sticking to you as it burns would be the opposite of protective.   Also I don’t know but I suspect charcoal starter might dissolve it?

Edited by Aventurine

On 6/6/2024 at 7:32 PM, SkipAriHunter said:

My wife and I have sofa skinning down to a fine art …

Lol

If it was me I would use heavy Denim or Canvas with some leather application (for pockets and straps).