Sign in to follow this  
jcwoman

Need help or a clear video for setting line 16 glove snaps

I tried to google for this and watched some youtube videos but I'm a bit frustrated because they all seem to be out of focus, don't zoom in enough for me to see which part fits which other part, etc. I found a video by Tandy that might be good except that it's all low-contrast brown leather on brown work surface. I just can't see enough detail to be able to know which of the four snap pieces goes with the other piece.

I've also been fiddling a bit and can't figure it out on my own. I use rivets a lot and know how to set line 20 snaps - and I know those are different, but I just add it to say that I do have some of the basic skills.

Can someone point me to a decent tutorial?

Edited to add a picture of what I have.

The cap is pretty obvious, but I can't tell which of the other three is supposed to fit into the cap. If I can figure that out, then maybe I can figure out the rest. I'm using snap setters for line 16 snaps.

1 hour ago, jcwoman said:

The cap is pretty obvious, but I can't tell which of the other three is supposed to fit into the cap. If I can figure that out, then maybe I can figure out the rest. I'm using snap setters for line 16 snaps.

These are segma snaps. 

The left 2 pieces go together, the right 2 pieces go together.

Ah, thank you, I wasn't sure.  I bought them from buckleguy and they didn't use that name.  I did look at this video but wish they'd zoomed in just a bit more.  It's hard to see exactly how the one piece fits inside the cap without just breaking the cap.  I'll re-watch it and experiment and come back if I still have questions.

Okay, I got the cap pair set nicely but when I tried to set the other half, they wouldn't clamp together firmly.  It seems like the shorter post just deformed a little.  What is supposed to happen to make those two snap together firmly?  I tapped them with about the same light force as the cap pair.  Do I need to hit them harder to make the longer post smash into the shorter post and lock?

Edited by jcwoman
more thoughts

Ah, I figured it out, thanks to another post here.  There's some kind of magic about setting that half on the backside of a metal anvil.  The other post said that makes the bottom part spread out so that they lock together.  Not just any flat surface will do, apparently!