Sign in to follow this  
Floydco

How much should I pay for a Consew 255?

Is $1100 a good deal for this walking foot machine? I found this one for sale at a sewing machine shop in my area. It’s been serviced recently, has reverse, a servo motor, new table, and new stand. I’m also considering a saltire fabricator.

4 hours ago, Floydco said:

Is $1100 a good deal for this walking foot machine?

Maybe. It depends on what you want to sew and the condition of the machine. I'm assuming the model is a Consew 255RB-3.

1) A new Consew 255RB-3 is about $2700 USD so getting one for $1100 would be about 60 percent saving over the cost of a new one. But it may have been rode hard, put away wet and be not worth $500. A couple of photo's would be helpful.

Reference ( https://www.jacksew.com/consew-255rb-3-single-needle-compound-walking-foot-sewing-machine-with-table-and-servo-motor/ ).

2) A new Sailrite Fabricator $1800 USD. Reference ( https://www.sailrite.com/Sailrite-Fabricator-Sewing-Machine-in-Power-Stand-with-Workhorse-Servo-Motor-Kit ).

3) The Consew 255RB-3 can handle up to V346 thread. Reference #8 Thread page 4 ( https://www.consew.com/Files/112347/InstructionManuals/255RB-3.pdf ).

4) The Sailrite Fabricator can handle up to V138. Reference Specifications ( https://www.sailrite.com/Sailrite-Fabricator-Sewing-Machine-in-Power-Stand-with-Workhorse-Servo-Motor-Kit )

Depending on what you want to sew the Consew maybe to much machine or the Sailrite maybe to little.

What do you want to sew???

kgg

12 minutes ago, kgg said:

Maybe. It depends on what you want to sew and the condition of the machine. 

Thanks for the info! I plan to make card holders, wallets, laptop sleeves, totes, and handbags for now. I like the customer service and how to options with the sailrite but the local guy is  just a phone call away. I’ll attach a photo. 

12 minutes ago, kgg said:

Maybe. It depends on what you want to sew and the condition of the machine. I'm assuming the model is a Consew 255RB-3.

1) A new Consew 255RB-3 is about $2700 USD so getting one for $1100 would be about 60 percent saving over the cost of a new one. But it may have been rode hard, put away wet and be not worth $500. A couple of photo's would be helpful.

IMG_7033.jpeg

Edited by Floydco

1 hour ago, Floydco said:

I plan to make card holders, wallets, laptop sleeves, totes, and handbags for now.

From the photo of the machine it is a not a Consew 255RB-3 as the stitch length dial is not on the front alongside the reverse lever but appears to be adjusted by moving the dial on the handwheel, the Consew name tag is the older style, and it does not have a built in safety clutch. Safety clutch basically disengages when you jam the machine up and prevents damage to the bottom end components of the machine. You should check and see what model this is.

Personally for doing the items you listed the Sailrite Fabricator in my opinion would be a better bet for flat items and cylinder arm machine would be probably better for bag type items. I would suggest you consider a cylinder arm machine rather then a flatbed like a Juki LS-341/1341 or clone and install a flatbed attachment. You can turn a cylinder arm machine into sorta a flatbed. When it comes to the Juki LS-341/1341 clones there are many available like Cowboy CB341, Kobe LS-1341, Techsew 2750, Cobra Class 26 to name a few.

kgg