ginstavr

Making a computer mouse pad

Hello.

I am interested in making computer mouse pads. The product is easy for beginners, but I have questions about the material. I ask for advice from experienced tanners on choosing leather.
I would like to know recommendations on the thickness of the leather, the tanning method, the top coating. Is it worth taking grain leather with an aniline coating for such mouse pads? Or is crazy horse or split leather with a pigment coating enough?
I will be glad to receive any information.

My thoughts on this matter.
Vegetable tanned leather is not suitable, as it is more susceptible to physical impact and can leave dents from the keyboard, monitor legs, etc.
It is also more susceptible to water. And spills of a drink happen quite often. In addition, sweat stains may remain.
Thin leather is also not suitable, as it will create folds and the nervousness of the table will be felt through it.

Thank you

desk-pad-bild-3-b.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Weaver leather supply has a free video tutorial about making a  mouse pad. You might get some information from it.

21 minutes ago, SUP said:

Weaver leather supply has a free video tutorial about making a  mouse pad. You might get some information from it.

Thank you

Nearly anything will work. Nearly anything will get stained and show dings. I have a piece of SB Foot utility side I use on my desk. Hearty stuff, and it shows dings, sweat, etc. If you don’t want to use an acrylic coating of some kind or chrome tan with a plastic-y top coating but want greater water resistance and a full grain, a Crazy Horse would work. Just think about what might go on the desk that you would not want to take up some of the pigments or waxes in the pad. Some people use veg tan to tool designs on a standalone mouse pad (rather than a full desk pad like it appears you have in mind), then seal it with Resolene or another acrylic sealer. 

I made a couple of mouse-mats. Strictly for use by meeces.

afair, 2.5 -28 mm veg tan, stamped, dyed and sealed and then backed with 3 mm neoprene rubber

Joyce's mat, 01LWs.jpg

Kitty's mat, 01LWs.jpg

They can't be used for putting coffee/tea cups on as they get marked

Thank you all for your help