Mablung

Turn Shoe Guide

This is the video about making Hedeby style turnshoes i found that greatly helped me with my most recent shoes.

Interesting fact. Hedeby used to be part of modern-day Denmark, but was taken in 1864 during the second Schleswig war by the German empire and is now, in German, Haithabu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U4mWyy7m-E

And i am a him. :)

very cool i saw that site also the other day after the topic came up. I downloaded the info but hopefully I can still buy shoes in a year cause my first attempt at mocs  didn't go well lol. They are much the same as some  moccasin patterns. 

Thanks for the link Mablung.

The very first class I took for shoe making was with Jason Horvattor making turn shoes.  They turned out great. I ended up taking another class with Jason because I really enjoyed making my own shoes and he's a great teacher.  While I was there they were filming for his video on making turn shoes.  I picked up a copy and I have to say that it's just like being in class with Jason.  He has also produces a spiral bound book on making turn shoes.  Its a good companion to the video but you can definitely make a pair with just the book.    Turn Shoes book and DVD 

Another source of great information is Stepping Through Time.  It's out of print and hard to find, but its a wealth of information if you can get your hands on it.  Looks like Amazon has it in stock as well as Shoes and Pattens (Medieval Finds from Excavations in London, 2) These are definitely more reference than tutorial.  Still a good read.  I don't know if you can get a hold of them through an inter-library loan, but worth a try if you want to look at them before you purchase.