Tido

Looking for a Used Sewing Machine to Get Started

Hi all, 

I’ve been reading the forums for a while now, but I am a first time poster. I have recently got into making sneakers and I am looking to get a used sewing machine to make the process faster. I am in Calgary Alberta, Canada, and I am hoping to find a machine for a reasonable price if possible (since everything I see on Facebook/Kijiji is >$1500.

It would be great if anyone was selling a machine that might be able to help, or could point me in the right direction for where to look.

Thanks in advance!

7 hours ago, Tido said:

Hi all, 

I’ve been reading the forums for a while now, but I am a first time poster. I have recently got into making sneakers and I am looking to get a used sewing machine to make the process faster. I am in Calgary Alberta, Canada, and I am hoping to find a machine for a reasonable price if possible (since everything I see on Facebook/Kijiji is >$1500.

It would be great if anyone was selling a machine that might be able to help, or could point me in the right direction for where to look.

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest you read this thread to get a better idea of what type of sewing machine you need.  One size does not fit all.

welcome

if you have any shoe repair shops in your area you may want to visit and ask questions.

at one time, they were common like pay phones, but now you dont see them as often.  One of our local dying malls has one and was surprised how much equipment he had in it.  But he was setup to resole shoes.  and i am surprised people still do that in our throw away society.

also, im not sure how you define "sneakers".   there maybe a language difference across the boarders.  but this is what i call a "sneaker".   

If you or any of your friends? have any old/trashed/no longer used "sneakers" you may want to grab some and dissect them to see how they are made.   Or if you have any 2nd hand stores like Goodwill, you can find cheap/used ones to do the same.

In any case, i would dissect some to see how they are made and if and what tools/equipment you may need.

you may find that the sole is bonded/glued.  Some shoes are done the same, but it will vary.

1140275-BLAN_1.png?_s=RAABAB0

Edited by $$hobby