Sign in to follow this  
Aventurine

"Heavy duty" rotary cutter?

Fiskar used to make a "heavy duty" rotary cutter.   They also made one labelled "All-Purpose" (which seemed a bit bold...I wonder if they put a warranty on that).  Now I can only find them without either of those specialty markers -- the differences are in handle design, blade size, and blade material.   So, three questions:

1) If I buy one that doesn't promise it's for leather, will it be okay?
2) Are the titanium coated blades desirable?  The tungsten blades?
3) If I get one with a small blade (for precision) can I stick a large blade on it sometimes for  long straight cutting -- and vice versa -- are they interchangeable? 

(Raw beginner here,  trying to minimize equipment expenses and still get decent quality stuff).

Thank you.

I have the big one didn’t look to see if it was leather rated when I bought it.  I don’t use it a lot mainly for cutting long fringe.  The blade that came in it worked quite well even in heavier leather.  I bought some titanium blades for it but never tried them as I don’t use it much it still has the original blade.  They only cut straight lines you can kinda get away with a very gentle sweeping curve but I noticed you get a little undercut so your edge isn’t square.  But that is fixable when you finish your edges. All that to say I don’t really think getting a small one for precise cuts is necessary since you’ll need another knife for corners and curves. I would recommend the bigger one so you don’t limit yourself on leather thickness.

Get one that’s sharp and cuts. That’s the main thing. I used to use my various pocket knives to cut leather, until I got better tools. I still use my utility knife with replaceable blades for some trim work. Don’t get too wrapped up in the shiny doodads and gimbobs of marketing, either. Decent steel with a consistent edge is key. 

For my use, rotary cutters are nice for cutting thin and stretchy leather: mostly chrome tanned.  They are not so helpful for thicker or harder leathers.  I have both large and small (45mm and 60mm blades) Fiskars brand, and mostly prefer the larger one for leather.  The main thing to look for is that the handle/holder is not flimsy, as some are.  Thankfully, they are inexpensive as are the replacement blades, and more than most other leather tools they have other uses!!

- Bill

I have a 60 mm Olfa rotary cutter that had no problems cutting out 7 oz apron split for a farrier's shoeing apron.  Today I am using it to trim a veg tanned shearling liner.  I mainly use it on 3-5 oz chrome tanned leathers.  New blades cost about $6 and the original blade is sharp after about a year of use.  I use it on a bench covered with HDPE.  Greatly prefer the rotary cutter to a round knife, trim knife etc. for straight cuts and gradual curves on stretchy leathers.  My wife tells me that Olfa is the original rotary cutter, which is why I bought it.    

Thank you!

One thing worth noting:  These cutters weren't really meant for leather work, and yet they work quite well!  While some tools are specifically meant for leather work and find very limited if any other use, there are a lot of really good tools meant for other uses (and often far less $$)  that work very well for leather!  Keep your eyes and your mind open!

Example:  My partner does custom framing from time to time.  We bought a matt cutter to help with that, and I had an idea for how it might be used for leather, so we bought one that was larger than needed for cutting matt for anything we had framed so far.  It turns out my hunch was right, and it is really useful for putting a very straight edge on leather up to about five feet!  It doesn't always work out, but with a little thought it usually does.

- Bill

Thank you, BillyBob.   Now you’ve got me wondering if my big paper cutter  table might be useful……

Edited by Aventurine