Aventurine

Can anyone compare these two (expensive) books?

Anyone familiar with these books -- which of these will have more actually usable patterns or guidance for making patterns?  They are both expensive so I need to make a careful choice.

41MT7IjsA4L.jpg

61vS4dHX73L._SL1400_.jpg

I know neither book but I'd choose Olaf's. I know his other works

Neither book will help you with patterns. They are strictly for historians and archaeologists, very dry reading. If you are looking for guidance on pattern making look elsewhere

I have both books. Unfortunately I won't be home for a few days and will have limited mobility when I get there. So I will take me a few days before I can answer your question.

@Aventurine A teaser.

I have accidentally found my files and book on Medieval shoes making which include many patterns and how to make them. These are from my time in the SCA, over 20 years ago. The information was freely available to SCA members back then but I've looked and its no longer available. There is no copyright on it so it would be ok to share it

If I scan the pages I don't know how to turn them into a PDF. Therefore each page would be a jpeg.  There are a lot of pages which will take lots of time, if my scanner decides to work

@fredk See if you have an option to print to a PDF instead of a physical printer.

I misspoke.  I have Stepping through Time by Olaf Goubitz and Shoes and Pattens by Francis Grew and Margrethe de Neergaard.

I agree with Fredk, Goubitz' book is much more rounded.  He explains various stitches and techniques in more detail than you will find in Shoes and Pattens.  He also goes into much more detail regarding decorations and closures.  Neither book explains how to create patterns, but Goubitz shows more styles and what the cut pieces look like.  Once you understand how a pattern a simple turn shoe and put it together, I feel that Stepping through Time will be a good reference for other styles.  This is all predicated on you wanting to make period correct footwear.  If you are looking for a shoe making book, I know of several that would better serve you.

@fredk That would be a great treasure.  I also used to have folders of SCA stuff...long gone unfortunately.

@Aven Thank you very much, I will get that book!

6 minutes ago, Aventurine said:

@fredk That would be a great treasure.  I also used to have folders of SCA stuff...long gone unfortunately.

Outlands!

The Shire of Glen Rathlin in the Principality of Insulae Draconis

9 hours ago, Aven said:

@fredk See if you have an option to print to a PDF instead of a physical printer.

I'm a numpty when it come to this. I have a printer / scanner. If it works it will scan the page as an image