anyone have any tricks that keeps the glue fresh and from thickening in between projects? I’ve tried taping around where the brush meets the opening and the solvent fumes seem to eat through every adhesive. I’ve tried.. I can’t find the metal can that the whole pot fits in and plastic ones disintegrate. I don’t really feel like dumping it out into its original metal container in between projects. Any advice??

I gave up on that idea years ago . . . I use a glass jelly jar . . . unscrew the lid . . . use it . . . screw the lid back on . . . just make sure you don't get any glue around the mouth of the bottle.  

I use throw away "acid brushes" . . . little metal handled things from Harbor Freight . . . about a nickel apiece or so . . . start out the day with one . . . usually pitch it before starting out the next day . . . but sometimes it is still useable . . . especially if I did something late that last evening.

Anyway . . . that's my system . . . and I have to toss a little thinner in it every now and then.

May God bless,

Dwight

What Dwight said. I hoard pickle/jelly/olive jars and use them for things like glue and custom dye mixes (full strength and diluted). As for the Teflon pot, I haven't read near enough positives to persuade me to purchase one for use with the adhesive I use (Weldwood Red Can Original). 

Harbor Freight is also pretty hard to beat (at least I've found to be the case) when it comes to availability & price of those acid brushes...and the wooden handled "chip" brushes. Some stores also carry bulk boxes for even better per-unit pricing. I'm sure you could look within these forums and find HF is many a leatherworker's friend and go-to for various/sundry supply.

Edited by Double Daddy