Lazybearmetal

Tying off leather/suede

Hello!   I'm not a leather worker by any means, but I use lacing in my metal art pieces.  I'm trying to find an aesthetically pleasing way to "tie off" and finish lacing that doesn't look like my kindergarten class did a project.  For example, we have small ornaments and short of just tying the two ends in a Knot, I don't know how else to go about it.   They are heavier than a normal jewelry piece, so I am worried that clamps might not work?

I would also like to incorporate heavier leather lacing to hang some of our plaques, and again.. the only thing I can think of is tying a knot or double Knot larger than the holes... and tying knots in leather is no small feat for me.  

Help! :)

Jessica

How about hiding the ends in 'cord ends'?

I use them on the ends of lacing on bracers

s-l500.jpg

Available in many styles and colours

Or simply a large bead. I use beads to end the laces on draw-string purses. Both ends pared down and glued into a hole in a wood bead

Edited by fredk

Oh wow, thank you!  I never thought to use glue!   Those would be perfect, and possibly even beads. 

What would be the best glue for that?

Blood knot is secure an looks nice I think .

Edited by Gezzer

1 hour ago, Lazybearmetal said:

What would be the best glue for that?

I'm in the UK and I use UHU glue. Its a contact adhesive in a tube. Bostik is similar. I don't know what is available where you are

@Lazybearmetal After looking at you stuff I realized that a full blood knot might not be useful for the small things like your heart Montana state item .  1/2 of the same knot might work if you like the way it looks .  NICE ARTWORKS !!!!!!!!!!!

3/16 inch holeIMG_2238.JPG.2df42182aa426a71c3f530d8afc17b93.JPG

3/8 inch splitIMG_2240.JPG.b876c6749e2414b8fc470cb6a4219fff.JPG

IMG_2236.JPG

IMG_2237.JPG

Edited by Gezzer

Thank you for the compliment!  That is a cool way to tie it off, I think I'll try that tonight!!  Thanks!