Sign in to follow this  
abn

Some of my work

Considering the amazing quality of work recently posted to this forum, I'm a bit hesitant to add my own photos! :unsure: (I suppose I'll give it a try anyway.) Comments are welcomed.

Best, -Alex :)

06_wallet_1.jpg 06_wallet_2.jpg 06_wristband.jpg 06_keyfob.jpg

post-162-1168877819_thumb.jpg

post-162-1168877901_thumb.jpg

post-162-1168877939_thumb.jpg

post-162-1168877956_thumb.jpg

They look very neat to me. Nice clean lines and circles. Me thinks you like circles.

Regis and Ed, thanks for your kind responses. Yes, that's hand-stitching. I know some folks seem to have a hard time getting their stitching to look good (especially on both sides), but I've always enjoyed the process and it seems to turn out fine for me.

Just don't ask me to carve anything! :biggrin:

How do you seperate the little pockets?

I ask, because it appears that there is no seperation between where the credit cards go in the slots that you have cut. If there is seperation, how do you get it there? If there isnt seperation, how does it work with the cards butting against each other?

Oh.... and very nice work.

Edited by joel_in_bhm

Joel, that's a great observation.

I used to build up pockets in layers, but didn't like how thick the wallet turned out. So, I decided to try segmenting one pocket so that cards put in different slots would stand out from one another. (Just as an experiment.)

I liked the result: the cut slots place the cards very slightly diagonally in each pocket, so as you open the wallet wider, the cards in each slot separate themselves as much as 1/8" slot-to-slot. The method makes for a really thin wallet with easy access to credit cards.

The only drawback is that if you had something that wasn't as big as a credit card, you'd want to put it inside the pocket itself, because it might drop through the first two slots. Plus, this non-traditional construction method raises some eyebrows.

Who knows -- at some point, I might try using a few thin layers of fabric to separate the slots to give the wallet interior a more traditional look, but I wonder whether it would add much to the functionality.

Take care (and thanks for the compliment), -Alex

Cool.

It looks very nice. I like the clean lines and partial stitching on the exterior. Its gives it a very unique look.

Was that your first one?

Where did you get the pattern or idea? or was it through trial and error?

Sorry to ask soo many questions....

I've made probably 20 wallets, and believe me, you wouldn't have wanted to see the first ones! I've always been partial to bi-folds (thinking that tri-folds are too bulky), so I got the pattern by measuring one of my favorite store-bought wallets. The exterior ended up being 9.1"x 3.5"". The liner is 8.7" x 3.5" (a little shorter than the exterior for easier folding). And each pocket is 3.5" x 3.5".

I hope this information helps, and if you decide to make something, please be sure to post some photos so we can admire your work!