I am planning a huge project for the rest of this year, as this is going to be an extremely drawn out project between orders and my normal day-to-day. It will be fun though, and I am wanting some help for it!

This upcoming OHSET season, I intend to participate at the South Valley meets as a vendor! I am wanting to see what people like to see for horse tack at booths, or what you guys feel do good at events. Small ticket items, goodies, maybe even larger items to be available. 

However I am limiting the suggestions of types of tack and certain features. There are some things I will not make, over concern of the wellbeing and effects they have on horses. And with my take on bridle fit, I figure I won't offer pre-made headstalls or breastcollars at the booth.

My list for what I will NOT make is:

- No tie-downs
- No martingales
- No headsetters
- No over-unders
- Nothing with chains, including curb straps (available will be adjustable leather curb straps)
- Nothing with FRINGE (I know this is controversial, but fringe is more of an irritant than anything)

My goal is ethical, humane, and practical, for both horse and rider!

I would also appreciate some help on booth setup and layouts! I have lots of prepping to do, and ideas are greatly appreciated. These will be my first big vendor events!

Thank you!

@DoubleBarrelCustomLeather 

I haven't participated in large events as a vendor yet, but I was offered a booth last year which collided with some other plans, so I couldn't go.

But my suggestion would be something like:

- nice leading ropes.
- belts, perhaps with some tooling or stamping
- key fobs with a horse head on them or the stamp of popular horse brand in the OHSET (quarter horse, Morgan, Danish Warmblood etc)
- pictures or examples of stuff that you have repaired or can repair. (If you do repairs)
- cowboy cuffs
- spur straps
- halters
- dog leads
- dog collars
- "luxury items" like saddle bags and complete headstalls.

Be sure to bring lots of business cards that describe what you do, like for instance:
Doublebarrelcustom leather, bespoke leather goods for the active horserider, specialty: Headstalls and western gear. repair of all horse related leather equipment. (again only advertise for repairs if you do them)

My experience in setting up a booth is that if you put the table between yourself and the customer, kind of like a counter at an airport, it will feel kind of like at a border. Not particularly welcoming. By orienting the table the other way, you sort of "invite" people into your space which can lead to people feeling more comfortable and apt to talk to you. And then you can explain much more in depth what you do and why your products are good.
I like items for sale to be labelled so that customers can see the price. A small label tied on with a piece of rustic looking string signals handmade more than a sticker. 

A couple of curiosity objects can spark the interest in customers and lead to interest in your booth and your products.  I'm thinking of something like a good quality drawing and a model of how you attach a buckle. Many people won't know that you skive the end of the leather, bevel the edges, sew a saddle stitch, polish the edges etc. So by making a non skived, non beveled double cap riveted buckle attachment and place it next to a really nicely done example, you can explain people what the difference is and why that makes your products so nice. 
Also explain that double cap rivets are super fine for some uses such as key fobs, but for stuff like a girths or breast collars, safety is paramount, and that is why you use the saddle stitch. And by coincidence - you happen to have an enlarged example so people can see what that is.

Dog leads and dog collars play well with horse tack since people at horse shows are "animal people", there is most likely a large percentage of those who have a horse who will also have a dog or two. And it gives you more products to place on your table.

By far, my biggest income from leatherwork related jobs has been repairs of tack and other leather equipment. So when I find the time to set up a booth an arrangement, That will be my biggest focus point. I would describe my price list and also explain the typical time it takes me to do a repair, and make sure to tell people that mailing is not a problem and that my mailing rates are this or that.

Get a roll of heavy brown paper to wrap any purchase in. Few things can deduct from a buying experience as having the thing you just bought either just handed over, or worse, just slapped in a cheap thin plastic bag. 
If it is for a small item like a key fob or something similar, you could go with a small brown paper bag.

Good luck and remember to have fun

Brgds Jonas

@Mulesaw

Thank you so much for your detailed response! I really appreciate it!

I have some more ideas with some of your suggestions and it will help me get a list together to prepare. Thank you again!

3 hours ago, Mulesaw said:

But my suggestion would be something like:

- nice leading ropes.
- belts, perhaps with some tooling or stamping
- key fobs with a horse head on them or the stamp of popular horse brand in the OHSET (quarter horse, Morgan, Danish Warmblood etc)
- pictures or examples of stuff that you have repaired or can repair. (If you do repairs)
- cowboy cuffs
- spur straps
- halters
- dog leads
- dog collars
- "luxury items" like saddle bags and complete headstalls

Pancake or other style knife sheaths would be a good small item to add to this list.

You will figure out what will sell after a few times and what sells one time may not the next. There is no rhyme or reason, be flexible and don't give up on an item for a least a few events. Having a range of products helps - variety of items and a variety of price points for cash and carry - physical examples of work for custom orders. You may not have every product in the lineup ready at every show but after the third person asks if you make an XYZ, I'd have at least one or two examples or "for sales" at the next show. 

From a seller point of view

- Be able to take card payments, be able to take card payments, be able to take card payments - on the spot - Square, Klover, whatever. POS system and not writing card numbers down to process later. 
- Have business cards, a brochure, or something you can hand out to everyone. Professional looking business cards, not punch outs done on your computer. If you do brochures, you can buy nice brochure paper and D-I-Y looks pretty good. I give away 6" rulers with all my logo and  info imprinted. You have a different market focus but something they need can take home and call you later. 
- Packaging - to be honest, I buy reusable shopping bags printed with my logo for less money than plain brown paper bags. 
- Logo stickers - If you asked me about stickers 6 years ago you would have gotten a quizzical look. That's exactly what I did in Prescott AZ when asked at the second show we did there. Since then I have given away about 4000 large ones and 3500 small ones. I see them in on-line pictures everywhere - coffee cups, stamping rocks, shop refrigerators, Yetis, sewing machines, you name it. People like stickers. Those stickers and rulers I give away for free pay me back.
- Know your competition and don't be afraid to refer customers to them. At one of the first leather shows, I wanted some peanut brittle colored elephant for seat inlays and bucking rolls. One guy had a few smaller pieces. He walked me over to his competitor's booth and helped me pick out a bigger panel that would yield better. Everybody was friends and the customer (me) was taken care of. If you get an inquiry for something out of your wheelhouse, know who to send them to. Customers will appreciate it and more than likely next time you'll be their first stop for the stuff you do have. 

It seems to me that what you *won't* do defines you in a way that will both limit your business and help you stand out to your target customers.  I think if I were you I'd advertise on your banner and business card

Double Barrel Leather Repairs and Custom Tack
For the best riders and the happiest horses.

* Expert repairs done fast
* Headstalls custom fit only
* I do not make tie-downs or other potentially harmful gear

You will then have the occasional butthurt person (especially barrel racers?) wanting to talk to you about  how *they* use tie-downs, etcetera, *properly* .  Your only necessary answer is, politely, "there are too many that don't."  Those folk might be offended but, then again, you were competing with a dozen other sellers for their business.  I would think that customers with the  least desire or need to use harsh gear will prefer you over everyone else, and you will enjoy good relationships with them.  

In fact since that's your demographic and you are interested in tack -- not holsters, gun belts, and scabbards -- you might consider changing your business name.

Best wishes to you.

(Grain of salt -- I never learned much about the riding world beyond  which end of the horse to hang the bridle on.  But my mother was a barrel racer.)

Edited by Aventurine

@Aventurine

Thank you! I have been considering changing my business name, however I would still like to offer more than just tack, yet keep it as a primary.

I think I will leave it just for the moment.

Thank you for your input! I really appreciate it!