Sierra

Hand sew or machine sew?

I was recently asked to repair some McClellan style saddles, from a saddle maker that is now retired, with the possibility of building more. Got the originals fixed up and sewed them back together by hand to hit all the same holes. My question is if anyone has had any luck with machine sewing around the bars on them or is hand sewing the only way to go? I was looking at a stirrup plate for the Adler as a way to get up close to the bar.

I also had to fix the metal gigs on the front and back of the saddles but have not been able to source ones for new builds. I did pattern them while they were off though if there is someone that could build them.

McClellan gig front.jpg

McClellan gig back.jpg

Stirrup-plate.jpg

I had a beautiful old saddle brought to me to repair the sheep wool on it.

It was just plain rotten . . . touching it at all with the least force and it came off in chunks.

I took it all off . . . pulled out the old stitches (talking about a job) . . . then I cut new wool to go on it . . . glued it in place with weldwood contact cement . . . put the piece with the wool down . . . played with my Tippmann Boss machine . . . and was able to re-sew it using the original holes.

Customer was a bit unhappy because he wanted it repaired . . . but came around when I explained it was the only way.

May God bless,

Dwight

daves saddle 2.jpg

On 8/13/2024 at 9:36 AM, Sierra said:

I was recently asked to repair some McClellan style saddles

Why the double post?  I moved your first (identical post) to Saddle construction.  Please do not double post!!  It breeds inconsistency, and people respond some to one, and others to the other.  Kind of screws things up.  I'm deleting your first post since no one has replied to it.

On 8/14/2024 at 8:20 PM, Northmount said:

Why the double post?  I moved your first (identical post) to Saddle construction.  Please do not double post!!  It breeds inconsistency, and people respond some to one, and others to the other.  Kind of screws things up.  I'm deleting your first post since no one has replied to it.

Didn't know you could move it, thought you were telling me it needed to be posted in a different section so I did.

59 minutes ago, Sierra said:

Didn't know you could move it, thought you were telling me it needed to be posted in a different section so I did.

Funny how I said I "moved" your post that you would think that.  Communication sure has its pitfalls.  So many miscommunications cause so many problems.