parishleather15

Techsew 5100- New to Cylinder Arms, Need Help

Hey yall, I just bought a used Techsew 5100 and I've gotten it home. Bolted it to stand, haven't put belt on yet and there is a cable going from this smaller foot pedal and isn't attached.  First what is that and where does it go?  Secondly what does that pedal do? And thirdly, is there anybody in the Denver to North Colorado area around Loveland that would be willing to come help me set this up properly please? Or someone who would be willing to do a video call?   I have wanna make sure it's on the up and up and most of all the timing and tension is on point for 277 thread.  The guy who had it was running 207. Also the thread guide pin is broken!!  I could probably sauter it back together. But if anyone knows a aftermarket Amazon special to just order please help, I'll definitely need one before i can do any sewing. I broke the pin hauling it home. Had the head on back seat and had to slam on the breaks and it went head down into floor board.    I mean he still had it threaded and everything.  I'm so excited about finally getting a proper machine. I've watched countless videos on YouTube but I know what I don't know and it's not squat about sewing machines. I bought one from a industrial shop up here a few years back and got so upset and felt so helpless cause they wouldn't help me get it setup, I sold it and quit leather for over a year or more.  It never sewed a single stitch properly and it was very discouraging. Yall guys and gals know these machines, so I'm here for it!  Thanks for any help I can get yall! 

7 hours ago, parishleather15 said:

Or someone who would be willing to do a video call?   I have wanna make sure it's on the up and up and most of all the timing and tension is on point for 277 thread.  The guy who had it was running 207. Also the thread guide pin is broken!!  I could probably sauter it back together.

Here is a couple of video's to help you get started:

kgg

You jumped into the deep end of the pool!

How about contacting Tech Sew for the thread guide?

https://www.techsew.com/us/parts-supplies.html

It probably a pretty generic 441 part, but Tech Sew will know for sure.  You're kind of dead in the water without the thread guide. Once you get it, thread it up with the 277 and see how it goes. It might work just fine.  If not, some specific questions about what it doing or not doing should get you some quick answers.

Here's a thread with general purpose 441 Clone info: 

Meanwhile, most of us like pictures. Feel free to show us yours.

Good luck with the new machine. 

could you post a pic of the broken part?

Hopefully it is just the top pin guide that got damaged while he was transporting the machine home. A top pin guide from a Cowboy 4500. Or he could thread the Techsew 5100 the OP gets a new one like you would thread a Cobra Class 4 machine as they don't use a top pin guide. This is a good example why any machine needs to tied / strapped securely during transport.

I have added a link the Techsew 5100 Threading Guide and also for the Cobra Class 4.

kgg

Threading a Cobra Class 4

Edited by kgg

29 minutes ago, kgg said:

Hopefully it is just the top pin guide that got damaged while he was transporting the machine home. A top pin guide from a Cowboy 4500. Or he could thread the Techsew 5100 the OP gets a new one like you would thread a Cobra Class 4 machine as they don't use a top pin guide. This is a good example why any machine needs to tied / strapped securely during transport.

I have added a link the Techsew 5100 Threading Guide and also for the Cobra Class 4.

kgg

That's pretty interesting. Looks like the Cobra is making up for no top pin by going further around that upper tension disk.

My old Singer 111W has the top pin with 2 holes but I've found that going through it once instead of twice can help some threads feed better.

I have a 5100, it’s a great machine in my opinion. You can download and/or ask for manuals from Techsew. Go get ‘em they will really help you out!

I transported my machine head on a 24” square plywood sheet and strapped it down on the way home. As you found out there’s only one chance to prevent damage and that’s your first chance. 

I’m no expert but feel free to reach out if you need some help. Ali Express has very inexpensive parts for our machines and while I don’t like to buy Chinese in this instance the money savings is absolutely huge. 

6 hours ago, AlZilla said:

That's pretty interesting. Looks like the Cobra is making up for no top pin by going further around that upper tension disk.

I did a topic with some photo's and an explanation on the various methods of threading the top thread for the original Juki TSC-441, the Cowboy, the Cobra and the Techsew. I thread my TSC-441 clone as if was a true Juki TSC-441.

kgg

Edited by kgg

Hey yall, so sorry I just realized I was a member finally, and it took me a minute to find the discussion.  

Yea I've watched all the threading guides got it going, had to JB Weld the needle thread guide that broke in half.  It's getting tack welded back together properly this coming weekend.  The machine is sewing good. One big problem,  I have no idea how to adjust this servo motor nor what setting to have it on to be able to go super slow or fast if needed.  After pressing and holding down up and down buttons I've learned it has three settings of which I have no idea what they are.  One that says on or off and goes to 9, another setting that goes to 99 and another that increases in .5 increments.