badhatter1005

Pre stretching leather for a belt

I was gifted several 2 and 1/2 in straps from European leatherworks by a friend of mine who decided he did not have the patience for leatherwork. They are 10 to 12 oz which I will skive down to 10 oz to make it even throughout.  I do not want to line the straps for economical purposes. I'm thinking I can make basic belts and sell them for a lower cost. Have several buckles that I have no overhead in either. I suppose my question is how do I pre-stretch the leather so that when the person puts the belt on and sweats in it it will not start to stretch over time? May not be possible but I have seen lower quality belts do that in the past. I do understand that the quality of the leather will make a difference and these are definitely not Wickett and Craig so that is why I figured I could sell them as economy belts maybe at a farmers market or something. But I still want people to feel like they got what they paid for.

A couple different ways I know of, both involve getting the strap wet. Not soggy of course, just slowly draw a strap through a basin of water as if you were casing it, shake off the excess, then...

1-  stretch it out between 2 clamps across your bench or a table and let it dry.  Then do your magic.

2- My preference.  Use your glass slicker in one direction only.  Repeat as much as necessary to get it stretched.  this way might even make it a bit thinner so you don't have to skive as much. Let it dry then do your magic.

As with everything in leather craft, YMMV there are many ways of doing things.   I'm looking forward to see what other methods there are.

11 hours ago, badhatter1005 said:

I was gifted several 2 and 1/2 in straps from European leatherworks by a friend of mine who decided he did not have the patience for leatherwork. They are 10 to 12 oz which I will skive down to 10 oz to make it even throughout.  I do not want to line the straps for economical purposes. I'm thinking I can make basic belts and sell them for a lower cost. Have several buckles that I have no overhead in either. I suppose my question is how do I pre-stretch the leather so that when the person puts the belt on and sweats in it it will not start to stretch over time? May not be possible but I have seen lower quality belts do that in the past. I do understand that the quality of the leather will make a difference and these are definitely not Wickett and Craig so that is why I figured I could sell them as economy belts maybe at a farmers market or something. But I still want people to feel like they got what they paid for.

Badhatter . . . the best advice on stretching the leather for a belt.

Don't.

10 oz leather will be ruined and wasted if you attempt to go thru some ill defined process attempting to stop leather from doing something that it will do anyway.

Even junk grade vegetable tanned leather makes an acceptable belt . . . 

But then again I've only made and sold several hundred . . . over the course of 20+ years  . . .  so what do I know?  And not one ever came back because it stretched.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you Dwight. As usual your advice is very handy and I appreciate it. I think I can concede to the man who has sold hundreds over several years and never had one returned for that purpose. That was the answer I needed and I appreciate it.