BMary

Adler 5-6 tips for materials

Hello,

I have Adler 5-6 which is serviced regularly and working perfectly.

Now I have bumped in to issue with it as I have other materials than leather to work on also.

Thick fabrics like jute and French linen. The issue is, when there is thicker seam, feeder cannot push forward. My thinking is that it is the presser foot as it's heavy and any adjustment is not helping. Maybe it would be better with roller foot?

If that is the case any ideas where I can find a fitting roller foot?

Thanks.

pics of the machine please.

glenn

Have you turned the jump foot mechanisms on or of? I guess you know what I mean. Due to the jump foot mechanism it would require removing parts from the foot bar to install a roller foot and make other adjustments as well - meaning the machine ex factory is not designed for mounting a roller foot.

In what condition it the feed dog maybe the teeth are worn. Or maybe the feed dog is se too low.

Edited by Constabulary

17 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

pics of the machine please.

glenn

Here is picture

20240909_094308.jpg

20240909_094315.jpg

17 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Have you turned the jump foot mechanisms on or of? I guess you know what I mean. Due to the jump foot mechanism it would require removing parts from the foot bar to install a roller foot and make other adjustments as well - meaning the machine ex factory is not designed for mounting a roller foot.

In what condition it the feed dog maybe the teeth are worn. Or maybe the feed dog is se too low.

Hi, I  actually have not heard about jump foot mechanism  before ... 

I guess I am not so familiar with this machine as I thought. 

Could you maybe explain? I would appreciate it a lot. It would mean world to me if I get this machine work with heavy fabric as well as leather<3

Morning - sorry my bad. The Adler 5-6 is a machine w/o jump foot, I just checked my records and I was on the wrong track. The machine ex factory came with a roller foot! I mixed it up with the 5-8 which has a jump foot.

The jump foot is a mechanism that enables the presser foot to feed the material along with the presser foot and it jumps back to its position when the feed dog descents at the end of the stitch cycle. The mechanism is not mechanically driven it works just with foot pressure and is pulled back to the front by spring.

You can see it in this video at about minute 5:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QosP-IaqT_E

How stick is the material (all layers together) you want to sew? Have you tried reducing the foot pressure?

Edited by Constabulary

1 hour ago, Constabulary said:

Morning - sorry my bad. The Adler 5-6 is a machine w/o jump foot, I just checked my records and I was on the wrong track. The machine ex factory came with a roller foot! I mixed it up with the 5-8 which has a jump foot.

The jump foot is a mechanism that enables the presser foot to feed the material along with the presser foot and it jumps back to its position when the feed dog descents at the end of the stitch cycle. The mechanism is not mechanically driven it works just with foot pressure and is pulled back to the front by spring.

You can see it in this video at about minute 5:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QosP-IaqT_E

How stick is the material (all layers together) you want to sew? Have you tried reducing the foot pressure?

Thank you.

I have tried to adjust foot pressure. Maybe I just try some more.

There is 4 layers of strong fabric and it's about 1,2 cm thick.  So where the seam is there is 4 layers and normaly just 2. I can try to attach a picture

20240909_123130.jpg

so the problem - I guess - is the foot cannot climb over the thick folded "bulge" right?

There were feet (I say were cause they are barely available anymore) with a spring loaded foot sole this foot a easier climb over thick spots but there is no guarantee that it will work in your case.

The only available foot for this kind of machine that may work comes from a Seiko SK-2 / Singer 132K. They also fit on Singer 45K and Adler 4 / 5 foot bar (machines w/o jump foot only) but the foot bar height may need some adjustment cause the Adler feet are a bit shorter than the Singer 45K feet.

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/170397661-presser-foot-seiko-singer-132k.html

However you may need something something that "equals" the height difference too. In Germany we call it "Hebamme" (word has different meanings) and looks like this:

https://schnittenliebe.com/shop/hoehenausgleich/

Check the pictures in the above linked offer so you will see what I mean.

When talking about Adler 4 & 5 class machines and sewing over thick spots then the best would be a machine with jump foot (as mentioned above) on which you can adjust how high the foot lifts when sewing over thick spots. But I guess a new or different machine is no option for you, right?

Edited by Constabulary

BTW - 12mm is pretty much the maximum this machine can sew - you may have reached it´s limits or you are close to it...