ThisIsMyFirstRodeo

Functional wrist braces

Ok not sure exactly where to post…

My issue/question isn’t geared so much towards LARP as blacksmithing, but y’all might have a better answer:

I’m thinking about a leather wrist brace that will help support my swing of the hammer. I know a lot of you have some really cool wrist pieces, but who has something that’s actually functional/supportive? And how should I go about fabricating it?

Many old-time blacksmiths wore wrist braces. Some weight lifters still wear them. The 'cowboy'  wrist braces are supportive as well

Any tight fitting wrist brace will do the job. They can be plain or decorative. I recommend making them from at least 2.4 - 2.8 mm veg tan (6 - 7 oz). probably even 3.2 -3.6 mm (8 - 9 oz)

Thank you for your input! I have a 6oz and an 8oz belly strewn across my work room right now that’s been…inspiring my imagination? No that’s not quite right… I’ve been staring at them and they’re giving me the wild hair.
The 8oz is just not quite enough to make a blacksmith’s apron, and the 6oz is too narrow for the job. Need to just break down and get myself a “real” side (Though I have been lucking out with the econo bellies, both of these were in the bin).

But having now chased the squirrels off, a wrist brace would be the next most functional piece I can make myself.
As far as plans/templates, (without having yet looked), I’m sure there are plenty out there, but what is your go-to source?

Aaaaand the squirrels came back. With the disco ball. Does it seem odd that I have yet to see any <4oz pieces in the econo bin?

Thank you again for constructive input. I don’t get much other than snide/back-handed responses from my other groups. This definitely seems to be a much more supportive community. Perhaps I’ll actually learn enough to sign up for my 2nd rodeo…

I think Tandy used to do some pattern packs for wrist braces/ cuffs; for cowboy ones and steampunk. They are the same, just different construction and different decoration

Have a look at these, if you can download them

Cowboy Cuff Patterns.pdf

Cowboy Cuff Patterns, 02.pdf

Steampunk Dragon Scale Gauntlet.pdf

Edited by fredk

@ThisIsMyFirstRodeo I had a brace once when I was younger. I had some problems with tendinitis, and that brace really helped. 

It was the same system as the one in the picture, I borrowed one and made a set for myself back then. can't remember the weight of the leather but is wasn't terribly heavy. Also I used Velcro instead of a buckle to be able to make perfect adjustments. 

Brgds Jonas

Fdbro 2 stk lær armbånd vektløfting håndleddsstropper til hantel treningsstudio muskulasjon vektstang Fitness hansker bryter håndleddstøtte: Oransje