Sign in to follow this  
Peter Ellis

heads up for the Blue EcoFlo dye

I picked up the EcoFlo dye sample pack from my "local" (only 120 miles away) Tandy a little while back. The manager, Jeff, had a heads up for me abou tthe Blue EcoFlo dye.

Apparently, about 30 days after you open it, the formula changes (presumably it's oxidizing) and the color goes from blue to a steel grey. Can't independently verify yet, as I haven't even opened the bottle.

Just thought people might want to know.

Peter,

I've got a bottle of Evening Blue that I've had open since July, and it seems to have held up pretty well... here's a picture of some that I dabbed onto a white paper towel. However, I was talking to the folks at the Oklahoma City Tandy store, and they informed me that they have pulled all the blue and purple Eco-Flo dyes from their shelves due to this issue of "shelf life". They say that Tandy is working on improving the formula for those two colors and should have the new formula out within the next month or so.

colorSampleEcoFloEveningBlu.jpg

I did notice, when I tested these dyes for color-fastness last summer, that the blue did not stand up to much exposure to direct sunlight, but all the other colors I tested held up amazingly well. In fact, they're still sitting in the window sill (I guess I just forgot about them), and the red and yellow are still quite vibrant.

Kate

post-7-1197849326_thumb.jpg

Hey Kate you might want to try it on a scrap piece of leather before you use it. Just to make sure. Mine is like a dark navy blue now.

I'll give it a try. You're right, it might be different on a piece of leather.

Kate