Sign in to follow this  
howardb

CD case

I think it turned out much better than I'd hoped. I made this for my son, and it's my first official project since learning how to do this at IFOLG07. Let me know what you folks think.

I saddle stiched it, and there wasn't enough "thread" in the kit for that, though they showed a lazy saddle stitch in the directions. So I found some other black waxed cord that was a bit heavier and went to town with it. Holes were pre-punched (Tandy kit). If I did another one, I'd probably start with a blank piece & punch smaller holes or proper diamonds for saddle stitching.

It stretched out on me a bit, but not so much that it didn't come back in line during stitching. I need to find a good way to control that. A friend gave me a suggestion and it didn't click until I was done tooling that I could easily have tried that one here since the back was hidden! Oh well.

IMG_2839a.jpg IMG_2850a.jpg

The holster is next and in process. It's cut and I'm working on bevels & such. I'll post when I get somewhere!

post-5266-1198025124_thumb.jpg

post-5266-1198025138_thumb.jpg

Looks real good Howard, the Jimmy Hendrix came out just great.

Ken

That's fantastic! Great job of sculpting. Creative use of the tools to make the hair and beard.

I miss Jimi....

Looks GREAT !!!

Did you draw the pattern on ?

Would love to see the work in progress .

For your first project, I think it's JUST GREAT.

Take some photos of the holster in progress, & post them..

WOW! That is a cool project. Very nice. Keep it up. It only gets more fun and your skills will get better.

Wow, is that your first project? :notworthy:

I don't dare to post pics here anymore.. :no:

Very nice! Like it a lot.

Thanks for all the nice compliments. He does like it, but I have temporarily re-posessed it. My MIL thinks I should enter it, so I'm going to enter it in April in the midwest show. She advised against scuffing...

Anyway, I will put up some pics of the holster in progress. I got most of the tooling done last night and I will have some questions for the group. It's a LOT "flatter" than I would have hoped or expected. Hold comments for that thread though so I can find them in the dark!

Thanks again,

Brent

PS: the original artwork (CD case) attached.

scan0012.jpg

post-5266-1198342555_thumb.jpg

Edited by howardb