Sign in to follow this  
esantoro

getting a good look at the needle

Do any of you have any tricks or techniques for getting a good look at the needle entering the leather on a walking foot machine where the needle goes through a cutout on the center toe, such as on the super bull, artisan 4000, juki 441?

Perhaps there is some other kind of toe that can be put on the machine. I find it difficult to get a good look at where the needle is entering the leather especially when I'm backstitching. I just bought on Ebay two magnifying task lamps to help me with this.

Ed

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question (and that wouldn't be unusual) but I hit the magic age of 45 in December, and my cure for every thing 2-feet out and closer is my READING GLASSES. For me, they've helped a lot when I'm stitching with my Toro 4000.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question (and that wouldn't be unusual) but I hit the magic age of 45 in December, and my cure for every thing 2-feet out and closer is my READING GLASSES. For me, they've helped a lot when I'm stitching with my Toro 4000.

I'm getting up there too. The super Bull doesn't give you clear view of where the needle pierces the leather. The center toe has a round cut out that the needle goes into. three milimeters of metal obstruct the view of where needle meets leather, which is enough to miss a hole in backstitching by a couple milimeters. I suppose with time one just adjusts and is able to anticipate appropriately.

I'm waiting to receive my work lamp with magnifying glass.

With my Baby Bull, I'm able to see clearly where the needle enters the hole, which makes backstitching easier. I'll let you know how the new work lamp works out.

Ed

Ed,

This was my biggest sewing problem switching over from the Adler to the 2000. The 205 Adler I had was a upper/lower needle feed, and there was no lower needle guide or center presser foot. That was a problem with needle deflection on the heavy layers, but allowed stitching precisely because you could see the corners and the needle tip. My 2000 has a little groove filed into the front of the center presser foot as a guide spot to look at. I don't think some of the other machines have that. It helps on keeping lines straight. On corners I have to bend down and eyeball the needle as it falls. I can see where the needle is entering the leather then. Kind of a hassle, but the lack of skipped stitches and even stitches on the back side more than makes up for it.

I had asked about filing a slot open to see the needle for precise stitching projects. Was given the big thumbs down by Ferdco. Since it was their machine, under their warranty, and I am sure someone else has tried it, I took them at their word.

Bruce Johnson

When I have a needle threading problem I give it to my wife. She can thread anything and she has worse eyesight than I do. :dunno:

Do any of you have any tricks or techniques for getting a good look at the needle entering the leather on a walking foot machine where the needle goes through a cutout on the center toe, such as on the super bull, artisan 4000, juki 441?

Perhaps there is some other kind of toe that can be put on the machine. I find it difficult to get a good look at where the needle is entering the leather especially when I'm backstitching. I just bought on Ebay two magnifying task lamps to help me with this.

Ed

I just got two magnifying lamps on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...15065&rd=1&rd=1

While there is a risk that very few of these lamps may need some kind of basic rewiring, they are excellent lamps. I'm glad I bought them.

Ed

they make a very cheap threader.... I dont have a problem threading my machines... but hand needles... I use a threader...

they make a very cheap threader.... I dont have a problem threading my machines... but hand needles... I use a threader...

I like pulling down the magnifyng glass and using it to make sure the backstitching on my Super bull is accurate.

The lamp is also great for when I have to handstitch, and I have 20/20 vision and don't use glasses ordinarily.

Ed