Sign in to follow this  
esantoro

should I use only a conditioner, or a combination of a conditioner and neatsfoot?

Thus far I've been using neatsfoot oil to prep/condition my veg tanned briefcase pieces prior to assembly and stitching. Usually it takes about three applications of the NF and a lot of elbow grease.

Now that I've purchased Fiebings 4 way conditioner (originally purchased as thread lube) and will be trying the Lexol and the Bickmore, I'm beginning to think that I should use only a conditioner to prep the leather.

My question here is should I use only a conditioner, or a combination of a conditioner and neatsfoot? Which should be applied first? I really like how the conditioner goes on and soaks into the leather, bringing out the hide's natural colors.

I think I'm going to end up going with a silicone based lube for my thread, $20 a gallon, compared to $11 a quart for the leather conditioner. Though the use of leather conditioner has been obvious to most, I've learned it could be much better utilized for what it is was meant for, conditioning leather.

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to my many, many questions. All of you have sped up my learning curve beyond imagination.

ed

FWIW, I've been wondering about the meaning of "neat," ever since Art mentioned it meant "cow." Here's my dictionaries definition.

1neat \"net\ noun pl neat or neats [ME neet, fr. OE neat; akin to OHG noz head of cattle, OE neotan to make use of, Lith nauda use] (bef. 12c)

: the common domestic bovine (Bos taurus)

do have have any books on leatherwork/craft? it seems like youre putting the cart before the horse here with more questions during your building process? its not to say that you shouldnt ask, but i would do some more research/reading before you go too far and end up in a corner.

what type of NF oil are you using? the solid kind? LOL. NF oil shouldnt requre any elbow grease to apply other then wiping on.

Unless youre using really thick leather, it should be fairly easy to form it. you can try wetting the leather and or if youre dyeing the leather, doing some forming when the dye is drying.

if youre doing some really sharp corners, you may have to groove the inside/outside depending on your situation.

FYI. NF oil will darken the leather at first and then fade with time.