Andy___Holsters_018.jpgAndy___Holsters_014.jpgAndy___Holsters_012.jpgI got lots of good comments on stitch first mold last or mold first and stitch last. I had a PM from someone who I would think of as a professional in the business and I thank you for the note. He said the pros stitch then mold. So being left handed I thought I would heed every bodies method and did a mix. I stitched the piece around the mouth which is also the belt loop in the back on. I made a template of where I thought the stitching around the trigger guard and frame should go and marked this on the flesh side. That area got Barge Cement and I actually let it dry overnight. Then I gave it a quick bath and stuffed the gun in there. After molding and boning I made a light tracing around the trigger guard and down the holster and put down a stitching grove, then stitched. Fortunately my glue job was pretty much on the money otherwise it would have been more difficult to stitch. So to sum it up, stitch first, mold last.

Comment and Criticism welcome

Andy

post-5658-1203642237_thumb.jpg

post-5658-1203642336_thumb.jpg

post-5658-1203642377_thumb.jpg

Andy

You did a real nice job on your holster. By the way, great stitch job too.

Randy

I like, very nice sewing and color.

nicely done it almost makes me want to go and try one of these modern style holsters, Don

Nice job. I like it. When did you burnish the stiffener edge, before or after sewing onto the holster?

Thanks to all for the nice comments, you have me pumped up. Regis, I burnished what I thought would be hard to get at first, and the edge on wing was last thing I did, after stitching. I used Tandy's Eco-Flo water base dye in Timber Brown for the main holster, and when I burnished the edges I used Tandy's Dark Mahogany dye. I have a small piece of deer antler that works pretty good for the burnishing. I dyed the leather first before stitching and molding, then it has a second coat after the holster was dry. The top coat is Tandy's Acrylic Resolene, which is a high gloss finish.

Andy

Very nice job!

Warren