Sign in to follow this  
figthnbullrider

sheepswool or synthetic

I use real on my leather saddles and fake on my cordura line. There is no comparison the real wool is far superior but you have to look at your business goals to make the decision.

When you hear about real wool on a fabric back realize that is just a marketing tool and does not exsist in reality. However, there is a very dense synthetic that is a good compromise if you trying to hit price or keep weight down.

David Genadek

Nothing beats real wool for comfort, feel, and quality. I got sheeps wool on all my chairs in the shop and a piece in my recliner in front of the TV! And I do put it on all my saddles.

I stab one hole at a time. It is worth takng the time to learn that skill as you will never regret it. When you sew the wool trim it an angle way from the edge first them take some wide masking tape and stick it to the wool so it doesn't get in your way. The same would apply to the fake stuff if you were hand sewing it too.

I learned at a saddle school in Nebraska. They thought I was nuts and I kept dropping the awl into my leg.

The local feed lot cowboys were really giving me a hard time. There I was in front of a Landis 16 on a stitching pony turning pages of Stohlmans hand sewing book with my foot trying to learn. I kept going but ended up with a big blood splotch on my pants. I have attached Stohlmans response to my story a few years later.

I have taught a lot of people to hand sew since and non of them got bloody but they were not turning pages with their foot.

David Genadek

stohlmanletter.pdf

stohlmanletter.pdf

You either have really crappy leather, a really dull awl or a combination of both. At most it should take a little bit of a wiggle to get the awl through. What kind of an awl are you using?

i have not bought an awl yet what kind should i get.

I have tried the CS Osborne and Tandy ones and I have to say they are very low on my scale of tools. I have to do so much work on them to get them so I can use them that it is a real pain. I like a long slim blade, esp. for doing the cantle bindings on a saddle but to get a long Osbone blade it comes so thick that it makes the holes too big. I have to grind them down, polish, and shape them to use.

I have started buying Bob Douglas awls, he make a slim bladed awl that works very good for me and they come sharpe, and polished and ready to use. They are expensive about 20.00 apiece but I feel well worth it. Couse I had to buy a Berry King awl half to use with it. That cost me too.

Randy

I use Osborne awls but they take a lot of work to get useable. Randy's suggestion of Bob Douglas is the best route. as far as I know he is the only one making an awl blade that is ready to go. Next time I need an awl blade that is where I will go.

David Genadek