Sign in to follow this  
rawhide1

stampede string

Hello all

I just finished this stampede string for my youngest daughter. It's a little long for her but it gives her room to grow into it. I was pretty happy with it. Some of my V's got off some. I think I really need glasses when I braid these small strings. Any way that's my story. LOL I welcome any and all critique's.

IMG_1256.JPGIMG_1257.JPGIMG_1258.JPGIMG_1259.JPG

Thanks, Mike

Very nice job Mike, You've made her a lifetime piece she can sure be proud of! That's what it is all about!

Vaya Co Dios, Alan Bell

Hey fellas thanks for the comments!! Alan they should last awhile unless one of the dogs gets ahold of it.LOL

Mike

Hey Mike,

That's one hell of a tie down strap. She'll be proud of that for a long time. How did you fix on the hair at the end?

Good work,

Rob

Rob

Thanks for the kind words. I'm pretty happy with it but I think I should have used more mane hair or made a smaller knot. The size of the knot compared to the amount of hair doesn't look right to me.

As far as securing the hair I usually run the hair thru the braid and double it over. But I on this piece I wanted to have a uncut end. So I took and split my hair into four or five little bunches. And then after tying my terminal knot I took some waxed thread and wrapped one little bunch. I did this with all the bunchs so they were evenly spaced around the braid. Making sure to pull the thread tighter than heck on each wrap. This is the first time I've done this so I'm not sure how good the hair will stay. I'd be interested in hearing how others go about getting this done. As I'm sure there is a better way.

Mike

That is just LOVELY...I worry about making stampede strings to fancy with to many buttons because I'm afraid they will get to heavy, should I worry about that at all?

entiendo

Thanks I'm glad you like it. As far as weight goes this is for my 4y/o daughter and it doesn't seem to bother her. I like them to have some wieght just so the tail end doesn't float around so much. But all this is JMO and I would love to hear others thoughts on the matter.

Thanks

Mike

wow that is real nice i have a question how do you tie the horsehair i tryed it once and it slid out so how did you tie yours to keep it secure

thanks for any help

That looks great. I'm sure your daughter will be proud of it for years to come.

My question is how are you attaching it to the hat?

Once again, looks great.

Hi rawhide1, beautiful piece you should be truly proud of this. I'd be interested in others techniques on the horse hair also. I've done like you have and used waxed string but it turned out rather bulky so I've been using artificial sinew. It is much thinner and you can really wrap and pull to get it tight and it doesn't add bulk to your project. Another braider suggested using denim and gluing the hair to that and then wrapping it around but that would seem to be bulky again. Any other techniques out there?

Again nice piece, John

wow that is real nice i have a question how do you tie the horsehair i tryed it once and it slid out so how did you tie yours to keep it secure

thanks for any help

gmlechuga

Thanks for the kind words. I have only used the two methods mentioned above. When I run the hair through the braid that seems the most secure. But with that being said my daughter has used this stampede all this summer and the hair hasn't slipped out. I just made sure that when I wrapped it I pulled the fire out of it.

Best of luck, Mike

That looks great. I'm sure your daughter will be proud of it for years to come.

My question is how are you attaching it to the hat?

Once again, looks great.

rcsaddles

Thanks for the kind words. To attach it I went to the hardware store and got a couple of small brass coter pins. I then ran them thru the sweat band.

Mike

Hi rawhide1, beautiful piece you should be truly proud of this. I'd be interested in others techniques on the horse hair also. I've done like you have and used waxed string but it turned out rather bulky so I've been using artificial sinew. It is much thinner and you can really wrap and pull to get it tight and it doesn't add bulk to your project. Another braider suggested using denim and gluing the hair to that and then wrapping it around but that would seem to be bulky again. Any other techniques out there?

Again nice piece, John

John

Thanks for the kind words. I need to build a couple more for my other kids so I'll have to give the artificial sinew a try. Thanks for the idea.

Mike