Essentia

11 string ridge edge flat braid

I saw this in a photo on an Indy Forum recently on an old David Morgan whip as a wrist strap, so I went over to his site and he uses it as a hat band there, I guess whoever bought the whip originally was looking to make it unique so thats how it got to be the wrist loop...

Anyway does anybody know the unders and overs to get this plait...any help would be much appreciated...

Tony :helpsmilie:

Tony

I don't see a picture.

MIke

I saw this in a photo on an Indy Forum recently on an old David Morgan whip as a wrist strap, so I went over to his site and he uses it as a hat band there, I guess whoever bought the whip originally was looking to make it unique so thats how it got to be the wrist loop...

Anyway does anybody know the unders and overs to get this plait...any help would be much appreciated...

Tony,

Without seeing the picture, I suspect you're talking about the crocodile ridge braid. You can find the

instructions in Grant's encyclopedia starting on page 230.

Hedge

Edited by Hedge

loop.jpg

Sorry here is the picture....

Hedge,

thanks for the reply I found a few tutorials for the crocodile plait you refer to in varrious string numbers and thats definately not it.... :deadsubject: can't seem to find one for this anywhere unless it's not showing up because I don't know the correct name for it...

Tony

Hedge,

thanks for the reply I found a few tutorials for the crocodile plait you refer to in varrious string numbers and thats definately not it.... :deadsubject: can't seem to find one for this anywhere unless it's not showing up because I don't know the correct name for it...

Tony

I've been going through my references on the croc ridge braid. It sure looks like a variation of the crocodile ridge of 2 outer half-rounds (pg 237 of Grant). And if you look at pg 228 bottom left, taking into account the loose braiding and lack of beveling, I think you'll see the braid pattern you're looking for.

Hedge

I don't know if I'll get the time, soon, but I want to see what I can work up.

I've been going through my references on the croc ridge braid. It sure looks like a variation of the crocodile ridge of 2 outer half-rounds (pg 237 of Grant). And if you look at pg 228 bottom left, taking into account the loose braiding and lack of beveling, I think you'll see the braid pattern you're looking for.

Hedge

I don't know if I'll get the time, soon, but I want to see what I can work up.

Many thanks I just ordered a new Bruce Grant off good old ebay I've searched high and low and can't find my copy anywhere, man and boy I had that :head_hurts_kr: I'll wait patiently for posty...

Best Wishes

Tony

Many thanks I just ordered a new Bruce Grant off good old ebay I've searched high and low and can't find my copy anywhere, man and boy I had that :head_hurts_kr: I'll wait patiently for posty...

Best Wishes

Tony

You're welcome, Tony. I hope you can follow the illustration. Grant's drawings leave something to be desired. But, with some perseverance, you should figure it out.

I have seen that braide before i believe it was in an old cowboy gear making series there were different variation of it

Thanks to those that tried to help, I eventually found it in an old APWA journal in an article posted by the late great Ron Edwards...it was in a 17 plait but easy transfered into 11....

For anyone interested start in the normal way for a flat plait then after bringing six from each side through go into the ridge edge plait the moves are the same both sides...

RtoL x 3 moves

1/3rd string down bring through the middle of the two above and twist

2/ top string under 2 over the first string and twist

3. o1 u1 o1 u1 o1

Repeat the opposite way...easy when you know how ;);) .......knowing how was the problem LOL.....

Tony