SaddleRider

Special Guitar Strap Leather

I am looking for leather that is soft, supple and light-weight, which is also very durable and non-stretchy.

This is going to be used to make a custom leather guitar strap for a well known C&W singer. I've only been working with leather for about a year, so I want to make sure I get it right the first time.

Also I need to find silver metal lacing that will embellish both edges of the guitar strap.

Any and all help and suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

If you're looking to do any tooling, you'd need a veg tanned leather 6/7, and you can line it or pad it, as you choose. Veg tanned leather get quite soft with use such as a guitar strap.

If you're looking for really soft, a chrome tanned around 3/4oz, doubled will do. But, of course you can't tool, and it doesn't emboss as well.

As far as the metal edge lacing, my guess will be sterling silver bezel wire, which you can purchase online from silver dealers. You can purchase stainless steel lace, but it is difficult to work with and you wouldn't be able to lace it tight on soft leather, in my experience.

You can also do a carving on veg tan and layer that over your chrome tan leather or do it as a insert.