Sign in to follow this  
YRsaddles

to click or not to click

Ok guys,

I've been pondering to idea of buying a clicker. I realize it will save me lots of time cutting out saddle parts. My question is where do I begin my search for the right clicker for my business? 10 ton, 20 ton? I'm looking for a looking for a clicker that won't put to SERIOUS of a dent in my wallet, but one that I won't have to get fixed or upgrade later on. I know you saddle makers out there will know the kind of parts that I'll want to click and the dies that the clicker will need to be able to handle.

Dave

I'm pondering the same idea myself. I hate cutting fender hobbles, latigo carriers and the sorts out by hand. There has been a lot of talk on here previously about the use of a simple hydraulic press. That's probably the route I'm willing to go with. As far as Dies I have seen the catalog from Big Sky and their prices are extremely reasonable. I have also heard a lot of praise towards Texas Custom Dies. I already have a set of concho dies so I am already that far ahead.

I have a clicker and wonder what I'd do without it. It gets used for lots of small things I don't like to cut by hand.

Chap parts, latigo hangers, coasters cut from scrap leather (customers love it) spur straps, just to name a few things.

my two cents worth on that issue

Bob Goudreault

Kamloops Saddlery :red_bandana:

what I want to know is..if I'm planning on using the clicker to cut out bigger parts like fenders, ground seats parts, seats, rear jockeys etc. will a 10 ton do the job?? or will i need to go bigger...just looking for a place to start my research before I buy. brands to look for...customer service

Dave

Elton,

I use a hydraulic shop press. About all I plan to click is small stuff, no saddle parts, so it works for me. A piece of steel on the bed with a piece of HDPE cutting board for the base. I put another piece of steel big enough to cover the die on the leather and crank away. You only need to let off enough to slide the work out and another one in. The detracters of the shop press say that it is like jacking your car up every time. I guess it would be if one is practical thinkingly challenged and lets the it go all the way up every time. I find that 4-5 strokes will cut through my skirting, less for thinner leather. I have a 20 ton. I also use it for press molding cases, back cinch tunnel loops, stuff like that I couldn't do as easily with a clicker. I also use it for embossing plates. The cost difference from 5-20 ton is not much, but the beefier frame on the 20 ton was noticeable. When I researched this, I had a guy who I trust tell me he had broken a lighter jack, and I expect it made a mess. I trusted him and forked over the extra $40, figuring that $40 wouldn't cover my time to clean up hydraulic oil and the leather it would ruin. Then there is that whole other bad words and falling from grace issue that would probably happen too.

I have dies from Big Sky and Texas Custom Die. The TCD dies are very good and I got them quickly. They were 4" round and square dies for my wife to convert my scraps into coasters and $$$. I have latigo and cinch carrier dies I ordered from Big Sky along with a few spur strap patterns. Good prices and quick shipping for off the rack dies. Good quality also. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either place. I picked off a few spur strap dies on ebay a couple years ago also. They are the shorter dies (3/4") but work well also. Another money maker and project is that the tab end of spur straps also double as key fobs (more $$$). In the words of my good friend Go2Tex, "one man's scrap is another man's key fob".

Dave,

I was looking into clickers a while back, and then kind of priced myself out of one (got a bell knife skiver instead). Both Artisan and Ferdco are now selling hydraulic clickers in a few sizes, along with the other big time clicker folks. I found that the price difference from small to large clickers was percentage wise not a lot. There are a bunch of used ones around, but with what they weigh, you don't just go pick one up and try it out. There are some happy campers with the Tippmanns, and some that aren't. Not being able to move the platen looks to be a bit of a handicap to me with those. Tippmann referred me to "satisfied customer" who offered to sell me his small one.

Not sure where you are, but Melanie Machine in LA had some big hydraulics. I think that the guy from TN who sells used machinery here probably has a line on some too. For saddle parts, I would talk to someone who clicks out their pieces like Crates or one of the other factories and see what they are using for clickers and die makers.

Elton,

I use a hydraulic shop press. About all I plan to click is small stuff, no saddle parts, so it works for me. A piece of steel on the bed with a piece of HDPE cutting board for the base. I put another piece of steel big enough to cover the die on the leather and crank away. You only need to let off enough to slide the work out and another one in. The detracters of the shop press say that it is like jacking your car up every time. I guess it would be if one is practical thinkingly challenged and lets the it go all the way up every time. I find that 4-5 strokes will cut through my skirting, less for thinner leather. I have a 20 ton. I also use it for press molding cases, back cinch tunnel loops, stuff like that I couldn't do as easily with a clicker. I also use it for embossing plates. The cost difference from 5-20 ton is not much, but the beefier frame on the 20 ton was noticeable. When I researched this, I had a guy who I trust tell me he had broken a lighter jack, and I expect it made a mess. I trusted him and forked over the extra $40, figuring that $40 wouldn't cover my time to clean up hydraulic oil and the leather it would ruin. Then there is that whole other bad words and falling from grace issue that would probably happen too.

I have dies from Big Sky and Texas Custom Die. The TCD dies are very good and I got them quickly. They were 4" round and square dies for my wife to convert my scraps into coasters and $$. I have latigo and cinch carrier dies I ordered from Big Sky along with a few spur strap patterns. Good prices and quick shipping for off the rack dies. Good quality also. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either place. I picked off a few spur strap dies on ebay a couple years ago also. They are the shorter dies (3/4") but work well also. Another money maker and project is that the tab end of spur straps also double as key fobs (more $$). In the words of my good friend Go2Tex, "one man's scrap is another man's key fob".

Dave,

I was looking into clickers a while back, and then kind of priced myself out of one (got a bell knife skiver instead). Both Artisan and Ferdco are now selling hydraulic clickers in a few sizes, along with the other big time clicker folks. I found that the price difference from small to large clickers was percentage wise not a lot. There are a bunch of used ones around, but with what they weigh, you don't just go pick one up and try it out. There are some happy campers with the Tippmanns, and some that aren't. Not being able to move the platen looks to be a bit of a handicap to me with those. Tippmann referred me to "satisfied customer" who offered to sell me his small one.

Not sure where you are, but Melanie Machine in LA had some big hydraulics. I think that the guy from TN who sells used machinery here probably has a line on some too. For saddle parts, I would talk to someone who clicks out their pieces like Crates or one of the other factories and see what they are using for clickers and die makers.

Really, I've been looking at skivers as well. fairly easy to operate? what kind of things will it skive?

I think you've made some good points on the clicker. if I were to click most of my parts. not only would a be producing a cookie cutter saddle, but I'm sure getting dies made out of my patterns would be a HUGE cost. I'll have to do more research on that one. I'm glad you replied to my post

Edited by YRsaddles

Dave,

I have had a couple of Clickers, I run a Hudson now, works GREAT. I can give a call to get parts and have them in a day or three. Not much breaks on them.

I hesitate to recommend any of the "overseas" clickers, one major distributor of them is having a HUGE problem with pumps seizing (probably easily recitified, but a pain for the end user) email me direct if needed on this. I don't want to start rumourmongering and such. Might be a bad batch and easily fixable.

A few folks like the Tippmanns, some folks love them, others hate them. You need a real compressor for the larger one, these are spendy. For the price of the clicker alone you can snag a decent used 20Ton clicker that works GREAT.

Power: Most are 3 phase, you can get a static or dynamic phase converter to make them work with home 220V (single phase) pricey, but it works well.

I recently went to Tractor Supply and saw enough tools/parts/motors to make your own clicker/hydraulic press. Might be a way to click (slowly) without killing your budget.

Ebay is home to LOTS of clickers.

A gent I recently spoke with uses the "Lucris" hand press, his works well. Looks a little light for my uses (holsters) but might work for you.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents, $0.0000009345 after taxes

Andy

Ok guys,

I've been pondering to idea of buying a clicker. I realize it will save me lots of time cutting out saddle parts. My question is where do I begin my search for the right clicker for my business? 10 ton, 20 ton? I'm looking for a looking for a clicker that won't put to SERIOUS of a dent in my wallet, but one that I won't have to get fixed or upgrade later on. I know you saddle makers out there will know the kind of parts that I'll want to click and the dies that the clicker will need to be able to handle.

Dave

Great topic, I have been looking into getting a clicker as well but the initial cost is just a little out of my reach. I have tought about building my own with some heavy I beam material with just a simple floor jack for the hydraulics but just haven't got around to it.

For those who have clikers post some pictures and name the manufacturers and prices paid for them so we who are looking can get a better idea of what is working for you and possiably would work for us as well.

Well I use a clicker alot for production parts. Not only saddle parts. Bridles, chaps parts, spur straps, hobble straps and so on. It's a 20 ton, my recommendation would be nothing less than 20 ton, 25 is better.

That being said, they extremely heavy, you certainly can't go down to the store and throw in it the truck... it weights 2-3000 lbs. Furthermore, you will require a cement floor to set it on. What I've done is made a steel dolly with 6 heavy duty wheels, sets it 6 inches higher than normal. A pallet to stand on gets you back to the proper height for working...

Would I sell it? Never, I'd may only sell it to buy a bigger one. The head is only 16 inches wide. You see, once you own one of these things. You'll find there's many things you can use it for. Saddle fenders will require a big head to do it one pass. Once you start hitting it twice to cut out bigger parts than the head can do, then you will find you bend the dies. Thats costly when you have to replace dies. I wouldn't use a manual car jack type press. Not when you can get a clicker for 1500-2500 bucks. Clickers are a handy unit to have in the shop. The maker stamp I use is 1 3/8" x 2 1/4" and I was killing my shoulder hitting it, until I started using the clicker.... it makes perfect wacks everytime, and it doesn't make the stamp bounce. As some of you may know, will ruin your project.

bob

Skip, I use an Atom clicker. Another good clicker is made by USM, many of them have a 24" head also. You can purchase these for 2500 or less. There's really nothing that can go wrong with them. Short of an electric motor and oil pump. Many of them used to be used in shoe factories on the east coast, once the asian market started to get the most of the shoe market, it put those factories out of business... However, many of there clickers are wired for 3 phase. You can convert them to 220 with a simple unit on the side. Try to find one thats already been converted. Save yourself some trouble.

Bob

thaks for the great information I will look into it further when and if I can generate enough to pay that much for one. I can see where they would save time and effort when cutting out parts for what ever type of production you are doing. its just comming up with that much money at one time. again thanks for all the great information.

Dave

I run a Atom SE20 clicker. and Like was stated I cannot imagine being without it now. My personal opinion is that in a clicker you need at least a 20 ton if you want to do saddle parts this for the ease of heavier leather as well as a cutting surface big enough to work and lay stuff out on.. I have gotten all of my dies made from Texas custom dies and think you will be surprised at their reasonable cost, especially once you compare yours hours spent hand cutting.

My clicker came from Tennesse but I were to look for another one now the first call I would make wold be to Dan at Randall (1-800-223-6018) they have all types of machines. I was also very impressed with their knowledge and customer service.

I do not have the number with me for Texas Custom Dies but if you need it send a message and I will get it for you.

Dink

I run a Schawbe DVHD 25 ton. You can make it work for fenders and seats but if you were doing a lot you would want a double beam or a overhead clicker. Not getting the entire Die covered with the beam is tough on the dies. You also want to make sure you get the stabalizer bars so you don't get beam deflection. I started with a USMC model A and used it for many years but it groans on the big parts.

On big parts I wouldn't get it with an expectation that it will save you a lot of time You will still need to block the piece out to bring to the clicker. You can wrestle the whole hide but the chance of mistakes goes way up. It will pay for it self on the little parts though. The clicker is the cheapest part of the game the die exspense is where the real investment is.

David Genadek

This is a great post!! I am happy to hear that TCD and Big Sky are high quality. I see Weaver is selling ready made dies too but they're pretty proud of theirs! Like Bruce, I use a hydraulic press. I got mine from Northern Tool for under $100. It has been worth it's weight in gold for doing embossing and cutting out conchos. Just a word of caution if anyone decides to use one. I see a lot of machine shops have cages around theirs and for good reason. A lot of times, the bottle jack isn't welded to the cross bar and it would be very possible to have it come slipping out under pressure. Having heard some horror stories, I now stand off to the side when using mine!!

Ryan

This is a great post!! I am happy to hear that TCD and Big Sky are high quality. I see Weaver is selling ready made dies too but they're pretty proud of theirs! Like Bruce, I use a hydraulic press. I got mine from Northern Tool for under $100. It has been worth it's weight in gold for doing embossing and cutting out conchos. Just a word of caution if anyone decides to use one. I see a lot of machine shops have cages around theirs and for good reason. A lot of times, the bottle jack isn't welded to the cross bar and it would be very possible to have it come slipping out under pressure. Having heard some horror stories, I now stand off to the side when using mine!!

Ryan

looking for blue prints to convert a press into a clicker, cutting rifle slings need large cutting surface any suggestion that will cut to the ends of die