Sign in to follow this  
Daggrim

need longer rapid rivets

Hi all you helpful people. I use rapid rivets to hold my helmets together, and I need some that are 15 mm long in the shaft, or about 5/8 inches. I found some that work great from Ohio Travel Bag, but they don't come in black. I can get nickel and brass, but I use black mostly. I need the rapid rivets, too, as the round helmets require an odd riveting jig, and I can't hammer them harder than rapid rivets require. Also, their rivets now cost about $15 per hundred! Oof! I've been using Tandy rivets for a long time, but I'm upgrading my leather to thicker stuff, and thier longest rivets just won't work anymore.

My fallback option is to skive the helmet panels, but I'd rather not go thru figuring all that out just yet. Such as, should I skive before or after the hardening/molding process. Which skiver would work best, etc.

Thanks, Daggrim

Hi all you helpful people. I use rapid rivets to hold my helmets together, and I need some that are 15 mm long in the shaft, or about 5/8 inches. I found some that work great from Ohio Travel Bag, but they don't come in black. I can get nickel and brass, but I use black mostly. I need the rapid rivets, too, as the round helmets require an odd riveting jig, and I can't hammer them harder than rapid rivets require. Also, their rivets now cost about $15 per hundred! Oof! I've been using Tandy rivets for a long time, but I'm upgrading my leather to thicker stuff, and thier longest rivets just won't work anymore.

My fallback option is to skive the helmet panels, but I'd rather not go thru figuring all that out just yet. Such as, should I skive before or after the hardening/molding process. Which skiver would work best, etc.

Thanks, Daggrim

What about Chicago screws?

ed

Chicago screws would work, but I need 52 of them per helmet. Awk!

Chicago screws would work, but I need 52 of them per helmet. Awk!

from weaver they are about the same price as the Jiffy Rivets from OTB.

ed