Sign in to follow this  
MADMAX22

mouse pad what finish?

Hey guys I was thinking of making myself a mousepad and maybe one for the GF but Im not sure of what finish to use on it. I game somewhat and she does alot of internet stuff so Im kind of wondering how some of the finishes will hold up to having a mouse running over them all the time.

Was thinking of just some tan kote but not sure.

Any and all suggestions or ideas welcome, thanks.

I've used Satin sheen and Leather Balm, both seem to hold up.

Saddle lac and neat lac

Wear like a charm they hold up as good as it gets

Josh

For a long lasting, waterproof, dead reliable finish go to a hardware store and buy water based polyurethane. Minwax Polycrylic is one brand. For a mouse pad I'd suggest a satin finish. Put it on with a foam brush or a scrap of shearling. Works great, is cheap, and lasts forever. However, it does feel like plastic (it is) and will not have the leather "feel" we all love. It is a durable finish though.

Dave T.

My best suggestion is to do what I did. Go to Wally World of some such place and get yourself a Optical Mouse, that uses the light instead of the rolling ball. I used a regular mouse and a track ball mouse until my wife got me the Optical Mouse, don't need anything else since. It will work on about any surface, so you can use whatever you want. You might want something tough to stand up to moving the mouse though. Just my .02 Billy P