Sign in to follow this  
tonyc1

Bend in sword

I had occasion to go to a local festival to view some gear I had made for the Lighthorse re - enactment troop and they had a display of Tent Pegging. I didn't realise that swords will bend as much and show no signs of worse for wear. It sprang back into alignment just as new. It's a lot more difficult with the Bayonet!

Tony.

sword.JPG

post-5242-1235645734_thumb.jpg

I know a dealer in swords tht will take one of his and "stab" it down in the floor of his booth and bend the hilt to the FLOOR and let go

springs right back straight

has another one from some other company that is now a C shape from the same treatment

(he also hacks apart concrete blooks with his with no nicks that I can see)

and that is why the GOOD swords cost the big bucks......

One of the more popular steels for swordsmithing is 5160. It's also sometimes called OCS. That stands for Old Chevy Springs. Yep, 5160 can be commonly found in older model leaf springs, and is pretty forgiving for novice smiths. For somebody with some experience, it's even better.

Swordmaking is definately an art. Lots of folks don't realize that a good sword is kind of like a giant spring. If it didn't have that springiness it would snap in two the first time it was used hard.

Very cool photo, Tony. That looks like a fun sport.

I know a dealer in swords tht will take one of his and "stab" it down in the floor of his booth and bend the hilt to the FLOOR and let go

springs right back straight

has another one from some other company that is now a C shape from the same treatment

(he also hacks apart concrete blooks with his with no nicks that I can see)

and that is why the GOOD swords cost the big bucks......

Is this the first part of a story about how he ended up with 85 stitches in his leg?