mstephen

BLACKJACK

Heres a old style blackjack i made last night.5-6oz. leather wet molded and saddle stitched around a spring with a cast lead head.

Um, excuse my ignorance, but just what is a "blackjack", anyway? :dunno:

I think its for personal protection..... used for hitting someone on the head.

It is also good for:

Protecting yourself from dogs or other mean animals on a walk.

Going to jail for an illegal weapon.

Swatting mosquitoes on your friends head.

Swatting mosquitoes on your not so friendly persons head.

It very versatile!

Allen

It is what the police officers use to carry back in the old ganster day of the 20s and 30s. they were filled will led shot and were very brutal. I believe they were outlawed. my neighbor has one if you would like to see a pic of an original? let me know, James

correct me if I am wrong :rolleyes2:

Ok so I just talked to my neighbor and he let me get some pics for ya. He also told me that the gansters use to carry these and the brass nuckles, so he was told. But here you go

015.JPG 017.JPG 016.JPG

post-7313-1235930665_thumb.jpg

post-7313-1235930688_thumb.jpg

post-7313-1235930740_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2MadJacks

you can find interesting info on them here: www.jacksandsaps.com

Google "Sap"

The old police uniform pants had a smaller pocket behind and below the right rear pocket. That is where the "Sap" was carried, then the police carried their large "D" cell flash light & SL20. Now, I believe the police officer carry their duty knife in that pocket? I am speaking from law enforcement on the west coast. I don't know if these pockets on found on uniform pants around here. I hope this help.

Greetings from Round Rock, Texas

Editted and added pictures above for those interested.

msteven, nice job I like it , James

Very Cool.

Here in TX they are illegal to carry but not illegal to own ;) I thought about making one myself. Recently at a meeting, a friend brought his old one out. I wouldn't want to get smacked with it! It was shaped like a flat wooden spoon.

Hi,

Very nice!

I could be wrong, but, wasn't a 'Blackjack' also a leather drinking vessel?

Steve

I just made one recently for a fella who collects them...

IMG_0101-1.jpg

Hi,

Very nice!

I could be wrong, but, wasn't a 'Blackjack' also a leather drinking vessel?

Steve

They were just called "jacks"- but, for the most part, they were black (perhaps age, dye, vigaroon, whatever), but they were NOT blackjacks.

ALSO....I talked to a fella out West who has been making saps/jacks for 40 years, mostly for reenactors. He also makes them with short handles to use as a massage tool. I tried the one pictured on my above post on my wife, and she said it works great...she said: :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Interesting thread that sure brings back memories. I became a police officer in 1976. At that time we were very limited with what was available for personal protection gear. At that time the chemical spray (mace) was being phased out, pepper spray and electric tasers had not yet been invented. We had the choice of our fists/feet, straight baton (night stick), or the sap or "blackjack. I carried both the flat sap or round sap in a special pocket sewn into the side of my uniform trousers.

The flat saps were made from a piece of spring steel covered in leather. The round sap was made with a piece of spring with powered lead at the business end also covered in leather.

The spring steel/lead filled saps could be very lethal if a person was struck in the head. By the 1980's most police departments phased out or completly outlawed the use of saps by police officers. I would guess they are probably illegal for civilian use in most states.

From a leather workers point of view, they were works of art. From a police officers point of view, their proper use could be considered an art form.

Randy

They were just called "jacks"- but, for the most part, they were black (perhaps age, dye, vigaroon, whatever), but they were NOT blackjacks.

Thanks for that. I just had that in the back of my memory from some place, I guess somebody probably wrote something like, "Here is a black Jack", and it sort of got 'mis-filed'.

Steve

Edited by SteveBrambley

Gentlemen,

New here as I have only in the last few months became interested in leatherwork. When in grade school, I had to interview a police officer for a speech class. The year was 1962, I know, I'm kinda old. He carried the flat version and he called it a "slapjack". Just FYI.

Regards,

Howard

Edited by flagaman

I can only speak from personal experience, Russ, but I grew up over here in the UK knowing these things as blackjacks. I have one hanging on the wall in my workshop alongside a pair of brass knuckles!

blackjack.jpg

post-6314-1236107565_thumb.jpg

I can only speak from personal experience, Russ, but I grew up over here in the UK knowing these things as blackjacks. I have one hanging on the wall in my workshop alongside a pair of brass knuckles!

Ray:

I was answering someone's question about drinking jacks, NOT blackjacks. I do know what a blackjack is & I do know what a jack is (a drinking vessel). And what you have pictured is a blackjack. I know that.

russ

Used in a lot of movies in and around the waterfront to shanghi sailors. I used to call it a melon thumper.

I was "asked", "persuaded" to sit one time by one of these. Damn these jacks. But I thought it was cool....OUCH!!!! :red_bandana:

I have read that leather mugs, -Jacks, were also known as "blackjacks" when they were waterproofed with tar (yum,yum). They were also fairly popular as a weapon in bar fights, the story goes that the name was transferred by association to the lead loaded leather club-"blackjack"