Hello all,

Having only made one semi-successful knife sheath ever, I am looking for ideas on what I can make next. I just got a customer who has two knives he would like me to make sheaths for, one is a field survival knife, and another is a rather large (understatement!) bowie...

I have seen some generic sheaths online but I'd like to see what some of you have made (post pictures and specs) so I can get some ideas on construction, and attachment (to belt). Oh and since some sort of retention will be needed for both knifes, I'd like some ideas on that as well. I've ran some thoughts on retention through my head already but nothing really working out.

Thanks!

Peter

P1010283_SHEATHS.jpgPeterk....have a look at these............

these might give you some ideas...

post-1906-1236021757_thumb.jpg

Thanks Luke!

If you don't mind, the retention piece looks like it was part of the bottom, or back of the holster piece, like the belt loops correct? If yes, did you draw in that extra piece in your pattern? Just wondering since most retention straps I've seen are sewn in after the fact.

yes you are corrcet... the hold down tab is part of the sheath. not an extra pc sewn on..

yes i did draw it on the pattern.

Peter, I do alot of different types on mine and others knives, so feel free to look at my site.Dave

DCKNIVES,

If you don't mind, what weight leather do you typically use for front and back when you have inlays? The veg-tanned leather I have for holsters is way too heavy (I believe) for inlays so I am looking for suggestions. I have a piece of 2oz allegator pattern embossed leather that I am looking for uses so it doesn't just sit there. The problem I have with that piece is that it doesn't glue well to anything since I believe the embossed side is glazed.

On small sheaths I use 2-3 oz on the inside and 5-6oz on the outside.On larger sheaths and holsters I usually use 5-6 oz both sides. I always glue the hides flesh to flesh.Your embossed hide should glue well with contact cement, besides you should be sewing around your inlay.Dave

I will try another contact cement. I know Barge does not do it, and the contact cement from Tanners Bond doesn't seem to work on the embossed leather either (on the skin side), but yes I will certainly sew as well. Still need to figure out how to mark holes for sewing when the embossed leather is on the outside so they are even. When they are inlayed it is easier to mark stitch groove on the veg-tan leather.

Peter, Someone on here suggested a forum called Blade Forums, I went there and found under sub forums " sheaths and such".There is so much information to be gleaned from it and there was a topic that suggested everyone show their work. I'm still cleaning drool from my desk. LOL I hope you can find it because you will sure enjoy the site. Earl

peterk, did you roughen the surface of the embosed leather before you

applied the contack cement? try that on your next one.

peterk, did you roughen the surface of the embosed leather before you

applied the contack cement? try that on your next one.

I roughen the flesh side and it glues very well to veg-tanned leather, but I did not roughen the skin side because that is the side that showed and the side I'm having trouble with. I will try to roughen the unexposed parts to see if that will help with the gluing issue. Thanks!

There are several more sheath forums available:

The Knife Network Forums: The Sheath Making Forum (1259 threads in the forum)

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/forumdis...mp;daysprune=-1

Also, British Blades Forums: Sheaths and Leatherwork Forum (1295 Threads in the forum)

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Many, many hours of reading!

There are several more sheath forums available:

The Knife Network Forums: The Sheath Making Forum (1259 threads in the forum)

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/forumdis...mp;daysprune=-1

Also, British Blades Forums: Sheaths and Leatherwork Forum (1295 Threads in the forum)

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Many, many hours of reading!

Thanks... Not afraid of reading quality material like I get here. :)